Thursday, September 6, 2018

Buyback Franken-set: On the Precipice of 1,200

I've got a half dozen buybacks queued up for review tonight, which brings the total number of buybacks in my project up to 1,199.  I'll have to find something special for buyback #1,200, but in the meantime let's see how these contestants make out...

1962 Topps #115 - Bob Skinner

Coming out strong with a Topps Heritage 1962 buyback.  In my experience I just don't come across these all that often, in fact this is just the third one I've encountered so far despite being well past the thousand buyback mark now.  On top of that, Bob Skinner's 1962 season (his last in Pittsburgh) was a really good one, as he swatted over .300 while hitting a career high 20 home runs and driving in 75.

Tony Pena's 1990 issue has resided in slot 115 of the franken-set binder for a while now.

It has now been relocated to the 1990 Topps buyback binder.  Easy choice to begin tonight's proceedings.

This card was a member of a completed page as well.  Here's what it looked like with Tony Pena...

...and here's the new look after he was supplanted by Skinner.  A lot of brown borders here with two '62s, a '68 and an '87.

1989 Topps #191 - Sil Campusano

I have to be honest, I have no recollection of Sil Campusano, who played less than one total season's worth of games over the course of three years with Toronto and the Phillies.  When you accumulate this many buybacks, they can't all be winners...

Already had this '74 Al Fitzmorris in slot 191...

...and I see no need to move him on Campusano's behalf.

1988 Topps #390 - George Bell All-Star

Consecutive Blue Jays buybacks here, as we have George Bell's 1988 All-Star subset card.  I love me some '80s All-Star cards, so this would seem like a good candidate for inclusion in the franken-set.  Just one problem.

It's being blocked by an '80s All-Star card that I enjoy far more.

Strawberry, who only entered the binder just last post, retains his spot for now.

1999 Topps #408 - Mike Jackson

I didn't specifically pick out this buyback of longtime reliever Mike Jackson, it just came my way in a random lot that worked out to about a quarter per card.  It's not all that significant to me, I don't expect it to make the binder save for an open slot.

Certainly not going to put it in place of one of the most fun names from baseball's past, Joey Terdoslavich.

No offense to Mike Jackson, but it's Terdoslavich all the way.  Terdoslavich.

1967 Topps #29 - Tom McCraw

Today's penultimate card is a grinning Tom McCraw, courtesy of 1967 Topps.  This one's from the 2014 buyback program, hence the retro Topps foil logo, and I have to say it's pretty well beat to hell.  Doesn't bother me though, happy to add Mr. McCraw to my collection.  Does he make the franken-set, however?

Ouch, rough draw for Tom.  I certainly have not seen many of these 1963 Rookie Stars multi-player floating head cards in buyback format.

No way I'm booting the one I have from the binder in favor of this card.

1968 Topps #285 - Dick McAuliffe

We'll close it out with my personal favorite from tonight's group, a '68 Dick McAuliffe.  Dick was a 3x All-Star when this card was printed up, and won a World Series with the Tigers just a few short months later.  I place a little extra significance on buybacks where the player won a championship or a major award in the year that the card is from, which is why I had no problem shelling out an even dollar for this one on COMC a while back.  Well, that and the fact that I hadn't yet acquired a #285 buyback, so this one plugs a hole in the franken-set as well.

That's a wrap for tonight, thanks as always for stopping by!

Franken-set Progress: 621/792 (78%)
1990 Topps Buyback Set: 85/792 (10%)
"Rejected" Buybacks: 493
Total Buybacks in Collection: 1,199

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...