Tuesday, May 18, 2010

1953 Topps Project - Post #38

So it's been a few days. Game 7 was a crushing loss, but don't worry Canuck, you won't find me about to jump from any ledges. I have no regrets about attending the game, it was the loudest and most exciting pro sports event I've ever attended in person and a great way for the fiancee and I (who I've slowly turned into a hockey fan!) to start our vacation.

The pain was also dampened by the fact that I spent my last 3 days traveling New England and attending two Pearl Jam concerts (one in Hartford, one in Boston). They've been my favorite band since about the mid-90's and have never disappointed in the dozen or more times I've seen them over the last decade or more. This tour was no different, as the guys (who aren't getting any younger) put on a couple of amazing shows. If you're a fan of the music but have never seem them live you really owe it to yourself to check them out.

Anyway, I'm pretty beat and my voice is a bit shot from all the yelling and singing, but it's back to relaxing for the rest of the week. While I've had little time for the collection lately, I have spent a lot of time thinking about where I want to go with it. I have made up my mind, at least for now, on a couple of things. First and foremost, while I don't think I'll quit collecting overall, I want to condense. I don't know exactly how many cards are in my possession but I would guess north of 20,000. I would like to get that number down to under 5,000 well organized cards. I picked up a couple of "cram whatever you want and pay a flat amount" boxes at the post office the other week in order to get this process started, but that will be for another post. The second thing I've determined is that with the hockey season winding down I'm going to focus on vintage (1950 - 1979) baseball for a while. On that note, it's time for the return of the 1953 Topps Project...

#153 - Andy Seminick - Cincinnati Reds

Andy Seminick is my 38th card in what will likely become a failed attempt to collect a graded 1953 Topps baseball set. Although featured as a member of the Cincinnati Reds organization on this particular piece of cardboard, Seminick is most closely associated with the Philadelphia Phillies organization. Seminick played for Philadelphia for 9 seasons between 1943 and 1951 and then again for better than 2 seasons to end his career in the mid-1950's. During his playing days, he was known more for his bat than his fielding ability, as evidenced by the fact that he led the NL in errors in 1946, 1948, 1949, 1950 and 1952!

Andy seemed to be one of those players who really loved the game, and he proved this by staying with the Phillies organization in many capacities for over 40 years after he retired. He coached the Phillies for two different stints, managed some of their minor league teams and even served as both a scout and instructor. Sadly, Andy passed away at age 83 back in 2004...

Set Status: 38/274 (14%)

2 comments:

night owl said...

Seminick was best buds with pitcher Frank Smith, who I featured on my blog. Nice card.

Condensing is good. It sounds more and more attractive to me every day.

Captain Canuck said...

nice... good to see the '53's again...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...