Tuesday, June 1, 2010

1953 Topps Project - Post #39

Onwards and upwards with the 1953 Topps Project. My '53 Topps collection has been picking up steam again, and I've actually picked up a few new cards in recent weeks, which I hadn't done in probably close to a year. Post 39 features a card I actually picked up a while back though...

#8 - Clem Koshorek - Pittsburgh Pirates

Clem is lucky to have a card in the 1953 Topps set, because although he played professional baseball for 14 seasons, he spent most of that time in the minors. He only saw action in the big leagues in 1952 and 1953, with the Pittsburgh Pirates. Even at that, he played in only a single game in the '53 season, the final game of his brief MLB career.

His full name was Clement John Koshorek, but he was affectionately known as "Scooter". I can't find anything that states this for sure, but I suspect the nickname may have to do with his short stature, as Clem stood at just 5'4". There's not much to say about a guy who played less than 100 career games, but he did serve for the United States in World War II. I guess this card would've been more appropriate to post yesterday.

If you want to read more about Scooter or see the back of the card, check out Dayf's post here.

Set Status: 39/274 (14%)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...