Sunday, October 4, 2015

Signature Sundays - Yogi

For my birthday last month, I received a $30 gift card from my mother-in-law.  With some money to spend on myself, of course I thought of cards.  I didn't have anything in particular in mind, but a couple of weeks later while browsing around on eBay I found a card that I knew was perfect.  My winning bid was $31 and the auction offered free shipping, so I spent my entire gift card plus a buck of my own money thrown in on just a single card.  I think it was well worth it, though.

Behold!

He may not have the most exciting autograph of all-time (keep in mind he would have been nearly 80 when he signed this card), but I'm really happy that Yogi Berra is now a part of my autograph collection.  The autograph is on-card, as are all the autos from this amazing set.  Kind of cool to know that one of the greatest catchers of all-time held and signed this one.

If you follow the blog then you've definitely seen autographs from this set before.  I count these among my favorite baseball autos, I guess I'm a sucker for the Baseball Heroes design since busting early '90s Upper Deck packs as a kid.  This is the 11th Emerald Auto (#'d /99) that I've been fortunate enough to land so far, which leaves 89 others out there.  Someday...

I'm not sure what I can say that hasn't already been said about the man who was an 18-time All-Star, 10-time World Series champion, 3-time MVP, and was even part of the D-Day invasion in France.  Berra lived an amazing life, and it's an honor to have this one call my collection home.  Quite a birthday gift indeed...

2 comments:

Tim B. said...

That is one beautiful card, Shane!

Hackenbush said...

I like to think of it as a compact signature from a compact man. At least it's legible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...