Friday, October 23, 2015

Quarter Box Quartet - Dukes, Teemu, Ainge & Mr. Met!

Just a quick one today, a quartet of cards plucked from the quarter boxes at Central Sports Cards in Pawtucket, RI...

Since I've been on a minor league kick the past few months, I snapped up this Ramon Martinez card from the 1989 ProCards set.  I'm fairly certain this is the first Albuquerque Dukes card to enter my collection.

I've always been a fan of newspaper-themed cards, and when you combine that with one of my favorite hockey players of all-time sporting an obnoxious Mighty Ducks sweater I'm sold!  I got the Fedorov card from this set in a trade and have been on the lookout for others ever since, so I was very happy to land Teemu here for just 25 cents.

A Danny Ainge rookie card for a quarter?  I'm not sure how I went so long without picking up this iconic card of the current President of Basketball Operations for the Boston Celtics.  Not that I've ever chased after one specifically, but I always figured it would set me back at least a buck if and when I did find a copy.

Lastly, perhaps my favorite of this small bunch, an awesome Upper Deck flagship card from 2004 featuring Ichiro and Mr. Met.  I wasn't collecting at all in 2004, so had no idea this card existed, but it was one of those were the photograph is interesting enough that I happily threw it into my stack.

If I had to choose between these four cards and a candy bar, which is about comparable in price, I'd take the cards any day!  You can keep your Snickers bar, give me Mr. Met!

3 comments:

buckstorecards said...

The Helsinki Herald publishes in English? Who knew?

shoeboxlegends said...

Haha, very valid point!

Mark Kaz said...

"...give me Mr. Met."

Couldn't have said it better myself, Shane!! Haha!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...