Thursday, March 23, 2017

Buyback Franken-set: Jack the Ripper & The Green Monster

I haven't been to a card show or my local shop in many, many months.  Combine that with the fact that I've curbed and nearly eliminated my retail spending, and the result is that eBay and COMC have basically been my only two sources for new cards for a long time now.

Today I arrived home from work to find four packages in my mailbox, all the result of recent eBay wins.  Three bubble mailers and one PWE; I'm short on time and mentally exhausted so I grabbed and scanned just the PWE for tonight:

1992 Topps #207 - Jack Clark

When I saw this one listed a couple weeks back for a penny with free shipping it went onto my watch list immediately.  Towards the end I pounced, and my final cost was $1.32.  When you consider that it cost the seller a 49 cent stamp just to ship it to me, it's a very solid addition to my buyback collection for just pocket change.

As a Red Sox fan, this has always been one of my favorite cards from the '92 Topps set, which is really saying something as there are a ton of interesting and well-done cards in that release.  I just love the shot of the pensive slugger, staring off into the distance in what would end up being the final season of his MLB career.

Best of all, I didn't have a #207 buyback previously, so the franken-set is one card closer to completion!

Maybe tomorrow I'll post the contents of one of the bubble mailers...

Franken-set Progress:  345/792 (44%)
"Rejected" Buybacks:  135
Total Buybacks in Collection:  480

4 comments:

Chris said...

I dont think I've ever seen that Jack Clark - and if I did, it was in 1992 and I forgot all about it. Not sure how I'd remember the 1991 Topps Roger Clemens card so vividly and not this one. But it is a great shot of the Ripper & the monster.

Also, I haven't been to a card show or shop in a long, long time. COMC is my main source of new cards as well. My local "card shop" is Target, I do as much buying there as I do on eBay.

Commishbob said...

That's a neat card of Jack Clark...even if it will give Night Owl facial tics.

Hackenbush said...

Great card.

Nick said...

How have I never seen this card before?!?! Into the Just Commons cart it goes...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...