Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Pastrnak in Black & Gold!

A couple of years ago now, at the tail end of the 2014-15 NHL season, I picked up my very first O-Pee-Chee Platinum Blue Cubes parallel:

The one I landed was the rookie card of David Pastrnak, a very promising 18-year-old (at the time) right wing from the Czech Republic.  Pastrnak showed a lot of potential over the 46 games he played in his rookie season, and with just /65 copies of this card in existence it felt like a significant pick-up for my collection at the time.

Fast forward a couple of seasons, and David has really blossomed as a player.  Still just 20 years old, he's played in all but a handful of the Bruins' games this season.  With a few games still to go, he's already surpassed the 30-goal mark on the season, as well as the 30-assist mark.  When he's on his game he really looks like a true scoring sniper, every bit as capable of putting the puck in the net as renowned goal-scorers like Alex Ovechkin or Vladimir Tarasenko.

Recently, I was able to secure another version of this OPC Platinum rookie card that pairs quite nicely with the Blue Cubes above:

This one is a "Seismic Gold" parallel, and is a bit rarer than the Blue Cubes parallel, with only 50 in existence.  Aside from the fact that Pastrnak is the most exciting young player on my favorite team, I'm a total sucker for shiny and the O-Pee-Chee Platinum parallels are some of the most shiny cards I've ever seen.  Besides, the black and gold in this design is pretty  much perfection as far as a Bruins card goes.

The back is a bit sparse, only because there weren't really a lot of statistics to share for an 18-year-old kid.

One last look, what an aesthetically pleasing card!  Hopefully Pastrnak can continue his impressive play, and the team can maintain their hold on one of the Eastern Conference playoff spots down the home stretch here.

While I don't consider myself a player collector, this duo does give me a nice start on a small Pastrnak collection for sure!  Thanks as always for stopping by.

4 comments:

ketchupman36 said...

That gold is a thing of beauty!

Marc said...

Very impressive! Kid looks great almost every night out on the ice.

Kin said...

At one time I aspired to complete the Scott Darling "rainbow" from the set. I've given up on that.

Hackenbush said...

Bet they look good next to each other.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...