Sunday, June 25, 2017

Signature Sundays - Rod Langway

I've been away from the blog here for about a week, the first time I've taken a hiatus of that length for quite some time.  Life has just been incredibly busy, but with good things thankfully.  It has actually felt really nice to step back and take a break, but it's time to get back in the saddle today with a quick autograph I landed recently.  This one counts towards my goal of accumulating as many 1989-90 O-Pee-Chee/Topps hockey autographs as I can:

Yes, it's HOF defenseman Rod Langway!  Rod, who remains the only NHL player ever born in Taiwan, had already played a season in the WHA and won a Stanley Cup with the Canadiens before being traded to the Capitals for the '82-83 season.  He would serve as team captain in Washington for all 11 seasons he played with the franchise, and would help the Caps to a post-season berth in each and every one of them.  Along the way he racked up two Norris Trophy wins as the league's top defender.

I love this card because you get a great shot of the retro Capitals jersey/sweater.  Rod went nice and bold with a large on-card autograph done is silver pen as well.

Here's a look at the back, complete with authentication sticker that ties the card to...

...the Certificate of Authenticity.

Langway may not have been a flashy player offensively speaking, but his years of solid, lock-down defense helped to right the ship for the Capitals, and made them a competitor throughout his time there.  I'm very pleased to add this autograph of an under-rated D-man to my collection!

Thanks for checking in, hopefully it won't be a week before I manage to post again here...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Langway never gets underrated in Shlabotsylvania, I an tell you that! Fantastic auto!

Marc said...

Sweet graph of another under rated defenseman.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...