Saturday, November 24, 2018

One Card Post - Bowman Dutch

What:  1952 Bowman #159 - Dutch Leonard
Where: COMC
How Much?:  $2.25

Why?:  I've loved these under-sized beauties since my dad bought me two of them at an antiques store when I was maybe 8 or 9 years old.  One of my favorite sets of the '50s; one of my favorite sets of all-time actually.  I just love the way the bright, vibrant colors pop, and of course the fantastic ballpark backdrops.  There was no chance that I was leaving this one behind, in really great shape, for just a hair over $2.

Dutch Leonard was a grizzled veteran by the time this card was released, and 1952 was actually his age 42 season.  That didn't stop him from appearing in 45 games for the Cubs though, pretty impressive for a guy his age to say the least!


If I were ever fortunate enough to win the lottery, I'd go whole-heartedly after the entire Bowman run from 1948 through 1955.  As it stands now, I'm happy to pick off some cheap ones when I happen to see them, just like I did here.

Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

Fuji said...

If I won the lottery... I'd do the same thing. Vintage Bowman are straight up beautiful.

Chris said...

Awesome card! I often check COMC for early '50s Bowman cards. Haven't found one I like in a while though.

Nick said...

Very cool! Didn't realize Dutch played into his 40s.

Commishbob said...

Yup, those are little gems! Nice 'get'.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...