Sunday, November 18, 2018

Signature Sundays - Johnny Damon

With the Red Sox winning it all in 2018, it got me thinking back to that 2004 team that broke the curse and delivered the first of what is now four World Series championships that I've been lucky enough to witness during my lifetime.  Seems like the perfect time to show off an autograph that I picked up just before the World Series started:

2017 Topps Archives Signature Series - 2004 Cracker Jack Johnny Damon (#'d /33)

While I still get to Fenway for a Red Sox game at least once or twice a year, there was a good decade or so beginning around 2003-2004 where I was fortunate enough to get free tickets very frequently through my work.  I'd take the tickets and go just about every chance I got, and I have so many memories of watching those clubs, and specifically fan favorite Johnny Damon.

I'd never had him represented in my autograph collection previously, but when I stumbled upon this one on eBay a few weeks back I was instantly intrigued.  Although he's missing his trademark beard that he sported for a good portion of his career in Boston, I was drawn to this one due to the fact that the Cracker Jack card Johnny signed here is from that historic year, 2004.  Aside from that I'm a total sucker for Cracker Jack cards in general.  The handful of original Cracker Jacks that I have are hands down some of my favorite baseball cards in my entire collection.

The back isn't much to look at, but is faithful to the backs on the original cards from 1914/1915.  I paid $15 for this card, which is more than I'd typically shell out for a Johnny Damon, but with just 33 of them in existence and having never seen one before I thought it was worth it.

There's actually one of the 32 others listed on eBay right now for $9.99 with a couple of days to go if any of you Red Sox fans like what you see and want to make a play at one for yourself.

Well, there you have it.  The card looks a little fuzzy in the scan, but that's only because I don't want to remove it from the one-touch holder it's secured in.  In person it is nice and crisp.  As far as cheap, under-$20 autographs go, this one makes me quite pleased as a Red Sox fan.  Given my love of Cracker Jack cards, and the significance of this being a 2004 release, I'm not sure there's a Damon autograph on the planet that I'd trade this one for.

Team collectors out there, have you landed any autographs from the Archives Signature Series releases these past couple of seasons?  If so, I'd love to hear about it in the comments.

2 comments:

Angus said...

I really like the card, and don't think that I would have a problem paying $15 for it if I were a Red Sox collector. Nice pick up.

Fuji said...

Sweet card! This Cracker Jack card looks amazing with the signature.

Oakland A's collectors have a ton of different Mark Mulder autographs to chase down. I currently only have one, but that's because I refuse to pay more than three or four bucks for his signature and vendors usually want more.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...