Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Buyback Franken-set: Johnny Miller Strikes Again!

I have no idea what I did to deserve to become the recipient of so much awesome and completely unexpected cardboard from fellow bloggers in recent months, but I certainly appreciate it!  Here's the most recent example of that generosity, a four-card Buyback Franken-set post courtesy of John Miller of Johnny's Trading Spot:

1970 Topps #411 - Los Angeles Dodgers

The first three buybacks today came as part of a much larger overall package, which I just finished exhaustively scanning, cropping and adding to my collection.  I'll be featuring the remainder of those cards here in the coming days.

Fitting to receive this 1970 Topps Dodgers buyback, since 2019 is the "Year of 1970" as far as Topps Heritage and its associated buybacks go.  This one is from the 2015 Topps buyback program, however.  The Dodgers had a great season in 1970, finishing 13 games over .500.  Unfortunately they still lost the division to a powerhouse Reds team by 14.5 games!

Had this Frank Baker in slot 411 of the binder already.  There's a part of me that wants to keep it in place just because I prefer vertical cards rather than a lone horizontal.

In the end though I just like the Dodgers card better.  The first buyback fights its way into the binder!

1993 Topps #746 - Mark Strittmatter/Lamarr Rogers

Mark Strittmatter went hitless in just four career AB, all of which took place in 1998.  Lamarr Rogers saw four less ABs than even that.  So, this buyback isn't exactly packed with MLB success, but that doesn't matter.  What does matter is that it's my first #746 buyback, so it makes the binder by default and strengthens my set by a card.

2014 Topps #141 - Chris Tillman

Next up, pitcher Chris Tillman of the Orioles.  Chris actually lasted a solid decade with Baltimore, but it seems his baseball career may be winding down.  From what I can tell he's actually a free agent at the moment.

An angry-looking Pat Bourque from 1974 Topps stands between Tillman and franken-set glory.  Pat may not have been as successful a Major League player as Tillman, but that's not the only deciding factor in these match-ups.  I just plain like this card better, even though 2014 wasn't a bad year for Topps flagship.

Tillman loses in a close one.

1970 Topps #134 - Danny Walton

A little while after receiving the monster package that contained those first three buybacks, I got a comment on one of my blog posts from John letting me know that he'd located a #134 buyback for me.  A few days later I received a small envelope containing this gem!

Not only is this a new number for the franken-set, but some of my absolute favorite buybacks to acquire are the 1969 and 1970 Seattle Pilots cards.  I'd love to complete a buyback team set from each year, and I snatch them up whenever I run across them at a reasonable price.  Had never encountered Danny Walton's card from 1970 in buyback form until receiving this one though.  Just awesome!

Perhaps the best part about it is that it completes yet another page in the binder!  Not a lot of star power here I'll admit (I count zero HOFers), but I like the back-to-back Pilots buybacks to close out the page.  That Manny Ramirez White Sox buyback is at least interesting, if not a bit jarring, as well.

John, thanks so much for your amazing generosity with spreading cardboard around the blogs, and for including me in that generosity.  Everyone else, enjoy your 4th of July holiday to those of you in the States, and thanks for stopping by!

Franken-set Progress: 651/792 (82%)
1990 Topps Buyback Set: 118/792 (14%)
"Rejected" Buybacks: 590
Total Buybacks in Collection: 1,359

6 comments:

Chris said...

Hey, a Connecticut card! (Stritt & Rogers both played for the New Haven Ravens)

It's always nice to see a completed page, even without any HOFers. Back-to-back Pilots is pretty cool.

The Shlabotnik Report said...

Nice page! Can't beat two Pilots!

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Score!

Nick said...

Two Pilots in one page? Most excellent!

Fuji said...

Can't imagine two Pilots are gonna land back to back again in your Frankenset. Very cool.

Kin said...

a) That's awesome of Johnny!
b) I hope to return to normal card activities by the end of the year, inclusing getting back on my frankenset.
c) Shared on Twitter.
d) Hope all is well, amigo!

-kin
beansballcardblog.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...