Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Trade with GCA

I recently completed a trade with Greg (aka GCA). This trade came to be when I commented on an A Pack a Day post where Greg opened a pack of 1990 Michigan State Spartans All-Time Greats cards. He had plenty of extras so I inquired about any hockey doubles. Greg actually ended up sending me all 26 hockey cards from the set. I love odd-ball cards and these definitely fit the bill. Here are 3 of my favorites, you can find the rest in the Zistle library...


John Chandik - I have no idea who the hell John Chandik is. I've never heard the name and to my knowledge he never went on to play in the NHL. I think Collegiate Collection might've stretched it a bit to fill the 200 card checklist, but I could very well be wrong. Anyway, this is a sweet card. A couple of things pop out right off the bat. The corner of the goal where the post and cross-bar meet is not rounded, pretty old school! Secondly, it's amazing to see how much goalie equipment has progressed over the years. Look at any modern goalie card and then check out this guy's skimpy pads and extremely tiny glove! Finally, I believe that is chicken wire instead of glass above the boards in the background. Classic!

Rod Brind'Amour - Believe it or not Rod is still playing for Carolina, although he's definitely lost a step and isn't having a great year. I think it's safe to say that this is the only Brind'Amour card in my collection where he's wearing a full cage on his helmet.

Doug Roberts - This one is a favorite for sentimental reasons. A great old-school photo.

Greg also sent along about 20 2008-09 O-Pee-Chee hockey base cards that I needed. I'm getting really close to completing this base set and I'm doing alright with the short prints and retro variations. It's a pretty overwhelming set so if anyone out there has any of this stuff and wants to trade please let me know.

Greg, thanks for the outstanding trade! It's always nice to trade with someone who actually has hockey cards to unload. The Michigan State cards were the coolest thing I've received in a while.

2 comments:

Sal said...

I am envious of these cool, oddball Michigan State cards.

GCA said...

I still have plenty of them if you'd like to trade. Email me at QAPLAGCA at yahoo.

Greg

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...