Sunday, June 21, 2009

Pack Rip - 2003 Topps Stadium Club

I purchased this pack almost 8 months ago, forgot about it and finally got around to opening it this weekend. Why did I buy it? Well, it was less than 2 bucks, it's a set I've never seen and don't own any of, and Stadium Club generally has pretty decent photography. Only 6 cards in the pack, so I've scanned all 6...

#6 - Derek Jeter - New York Yankees - I like the horizontal card, but the blurred out player in the foreground (who I believe is Jason Giambi) kind of detracts from the overall look.

#92 - Manny Ramirez - Boston Red Sox - This card is staying in my collection, as opposed to being added to my trade list, for one reason and one reason only. It's a Red Sox card that I don't already have. Ugh.

#103 - Hank Blalock - Texas Rangers (Future Star) - Pretty good rookie to get I suppose. He had string of 3 very good offensive seasons from 2003 to 2005 but seems to have cooled off and been bitten by the injury bug.

Royal Gold #43 - Luis Castillo - Florida Marlins - The Royal Gold parallel card isn't a whole lot different from the base cards, just gold foil (which scans better) and it's about the thickness of 3 regular cards. Probably a cheap parallel designed primarily to deter pack searchers.

#41 - Jeff Bagwell - Houston Astros - In 2003 Jeff had a great season, batting .278 with 39 HR and 100 RBI. I'm sure most people wouldn't have predicted he would be totally out of baseball just two years later...

#18 - Johnny Damon - Boston Red Sox - A pretty good shot of Johnny leaping for a fly ball with the Green Monster looming in the background. I wish Topps hadn't cropped in the photo so closely but had instead gone for a horizontal card.
I was pleasantly surprised with this pack. I'm always a little reluctant to purchase a product with only 6 cards per pack, but two Red Sox plus a Jeter and a Bagwell made for a decent pack. Aside from the Damon and Ramirez these cards are up for trade...

1 comment:

Slette said...

Looking to dump the Jeter, eh?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...