Thursday, March 1, 2012

Giant Brooks

Well, last month was the least busy here in terms of number of posts in almost a year (and I had an extra day even!). I want to start March off on the right foot, but don't have a lot of time, so here's a recent addition to my collection that arrived in the mail a couple of weeks ago:

I really like the 1964 Topps Giants set. There's just something about a card this large that's really cool. There are 60 cards in the set in total, and they measure 3 1/8" by 5 1/4". I tend to like minimal card designs that shift the focus to the photo, and this set is a good example.

Best of all, these can be had for a really good price compared to some of the other vintage sets from this era. Brooks here, graded a NM 7 by PSA, cost me $9.99 with free shipping. You can find guys like Hank Aaron and Roberto Clemente for under $30 in a PSA 7 grade, and even Mickey Mantle, the most valuable card in the set, can be had in the same grade for around $45. The cards are a great way to get '60s Topps cards of superstars without breaking the bank.

The backs don't contain any stats, but rather feature a newspaper-type write-up and photo, complete with headline. Not the greatest card backs in history, but unique nonetheless.

I'm not sure if I'll ever chase the set, but I would like to track down a Mantle, Aaron and Clemente someday to sit alongside Brooks here...

2 comments:

CaptKirk42 said...

Excellent steal. I think most sellers of graded cards over-price several times over the Maximum price a card should be. Maybe they are making up for the cost of sending the thing in to be graded in the first place.

1967ers said...

That's a really cool set. I wonder if there's a sheet that would hold them. They're too wide for the Tall Boys sheets.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...