Friday, March 2, 2012

'72 O-Pee-Chee Red Sox!

Sometimes when I receive a trade package it takes me months before I finally get it posted here. That's because I'm OCD about certain things and feel the need to scan in every card, add each one to my collection on Zistle, put them in their proper spots in my boxes/binders, and then finally post about them. Well one of my goals for this year is to be a bit speedier when it comes to posting trade loot. So, I'm going to take a different approach with my latest package, which arrived last night courtesy of Chris, aka 1967ers, of Diamond Cuts and Wax Stains. I'm sure you already read his blog, but if you haven't stopped by definitely check it out. I think our collecting interests are very similar, since we both like baseball and hockey, and both seem to gravitate towards vintage. Anyway, I'm going to break this out into a few posts to get the cards up here faster. Plus, I'm heading out on a snowmobiling trip for the weekend and this will be a good way to schedule a couple of posts for while I'm away.

First up we have two cards from the 1972 O-Pee-Chee baseball set...

I've got a few '72 Topps cards in my collection (well, only 40 actually), but '72 O-Pee-Chee baseball was a set that I didn't have any of prior to checking the mail last night! The fronts of the cards don't look much different than their Topps counterparts, but as usual O-Pee-Chee has much brighter and easier-to-read card backs:

I like the cartoon on this one, 14 World Series appearances as a player for Yogi Berra. Now that is impressive!

Also in the package was this Eddie Kasko, who served as the Sox manager in 1972. Unfortunately the Red Sox finished a half game behind the Detroit Tigers in the AL East. Yes, you read that correctly, a half game. Each team missed a few games in the spring as a result of a player's strike, and it was agreed that lost games would not be made up, even if it impacted a pennant race. Ouch!

There are so many great cards in this package. I'll have at least a few more up over the course of the weekend. Chris, thank you very much for the amazing cards, I've got a decent-sized stack built to head your way, hope to have it out the door by the end of this coming week!

1 comment:

1967ers said...

Cool! Glad you like 'em and glad they made it!

Note too that Kasko was the last-ever manager of the old Toronto Maple Leafs. Gotta get that in there. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...