Saturday, November 3, 2012

First Most Wanted Capture - 1992 Fleer Rookie Sensations Frank Thomas

A while back I followed the lead of quite a few other bloggers and created a list of my most wanted cards in my sidebar.  I've seen creative names for these lists like the Coveted Cluster or the Nebulous 9, but I'm going for the less creative "Most Wanted".  This past week a package arrived from Check Out My Cards that knocked the first item off of my newly-created list:

This 1992 Fleer Ultra Rookie Sensations Frank Thomas card is one I've wanted for years, pretty much since I got back into collecting in 2007 actually.  I think the reason it took me so long to finally snag one is that they do pretty well in the secondary market, and every time I've run across one I've convinced myself I could have it cheaper if I waited.  In the end, this copy ended up setting me back $2.80, which I thought was more than reasonable.

I had already picked up the Jeff Bagwell earlier this year, so with Frank in hand I've now got both of the cards I really wanted from this set.  I seem to recall collectors going crazy for these inserts back in the day, but I'm starting to wonder if it's all in my head, or if my memory from childhood is just foggy.  In my last Beckett Baseball, which is well over a year old now, none of these Rookie Sensations are even listed individually, just a generic $5 for "unlisted stars".

Do any of you recall these Fleer inserts being hot cards way back when?  Anyone have a Beckett or Tuff Stuff lying around from the mid-'90s that could look this one up for me?  I'd love to know what it booked for back in the day...

2 comments:

Dan said...

From July 1993 Beckett:

1992 Fleer Rookie Sensations

Set: $100
Commons: $1.50
Frank Thomas: $45
Jeff Bagwell: $18
Juan Guzman: $18
Ivan Rodriguez: $15
Ray Lankford: $10
Chuck Knoblauch: $10

How's that for some craziness?

shoeboxlegends said...

Wow! Okay good to know my memory isn't gone yet. I didn't recall them being THAT sought after though!

Thanks for checking that Dan!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...