Friday, February 1, 2013

A Dollar at the Dime Box - Mansfield Show - Pt 4

Here's the fourth installment of five featuring cards plucked from the dime box at a recent show. This one's a bit heavy on the Red Sox, with 5 of the 10 cards filling in gaps in my Sox collection...

I was surprised to see that Daisuke made the checklist for 2013 Topps.  This card here's a Topps Stars insert from the 2007 set.

Pedro is on the short list of players who I simply cannot leave behind in a dime box.

Here's one more of those Baseball Flashbacks Heritage inserts that I showed some of a couple of posts back.  Killer is one of the most under-rated superstars of yesteryear.  Had he played in New York or Boston his cards would demand more of a premium.

I've talked more than once about my guilty pleasure of accumulating Alexandre Daigle cards, and here's another one.  This card is ugly as sin but I just couldn't leave it in the box.  I know it's an illness, I'm working on it.

Another cheap early-'90s Classic issue, this is from the same insert set as the Teemu Selanne that was in the first dime box post.

I can't put my finger on why, pretty sure it's 90% nostalgia, but few things from the junk wax era appeal to me more than the Fleer Ultra rookies from the first couple of baseball/basketball/hockey sets that featured the gold foil ROOKIE ribbon.  A dime for Felix?  No question, a great looking card.

I don't post nearly enough of them here, but I definitely have a thing for oddball cards, including the atrocious-looking Classic releases like this one.  These are sometimes tough to find without some condition wear, at least in my experience, so I would have paid $1 for this mint condition Griffey.  This was definitely one of the cards I was happiest to stumble across in my time standing at the dime box.

I'll close this one with a trio of Red Sox.  Wade Boggs, who I recently acquired an on-card auto of at long last, from the 1987 Donruss Baseball Highlights set...

...a Jon Lester Opening Day card (yes I know an Opening Day common is not a great dime box find)...

...and another Pedro (see above).

I have one more round of 10 from the dime box to post this weekend, as well as a couple more trade packages...

2 comments:

Brad said...

The Potvin card is one of my favorite rookie cards from the early Fleer Ultra sets. They appeal to me as well.

unclemoe said...

Cool Killebrew.

moe.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...