Saturday, October 26, 2013

Grab Bag - Red Sox Relics, Baseball's Shortest Player & Serial Numbered Hockey

For today's grab bag post, here are ten random cards that I stumbled across while cleaning and organizing in my card room this past week...

We'll start off with some very appropriate Red Sox relics from the last time they won a World Series, 2007.  From the Goudey set, Curt Schilling.  2007 Goudey was the set that got me back into collecting cards, and at one point I had built up a few dozen of these game-used inserts.  I sold most of them off a couple years back, but kept Schilling...

...and Manny Ramirez.  My favorite thing about these is that they're smaller in size, comparable to the original Goudey cards from the '30s.

Here's another Ramirez, also from 2007, this time a bat from the Bowman Heritage set.  Pulled this one myself from a pack way back when.  If the Sox end up winning it this year it will be hard to overlook the offensive contributions from this guy:

Ortiz has been a machine so far in the Series, but with no DH for the next three games either he or Mike Napoli will be riding the pine.  I don't see how you can possibly sit Ortiz when he's swinging the bat like he has been.  This one here's a chrome parallel from 2010 Topps Heritage, numbered to 1,961 copies, and was snagged from the dollar box at my LCS.

Here's another one from that same dollar box.  This new addition to my Nolan Ryan collection comes from 2003 Sweet Spot Classic.

Another new Nolan Ryan.  I actually bought this years ago.  It's an eTopps card that was given out at various events in 2006, including the National and some other larger shows.  This one doesn't have a foil stamp indicating which show it's from, so maybe it's from some overstock or something.

I don't recall where I got this card, but I know it was relatively early in my return to collecting, most likely in 2007.  I'm so glad I finally scanned and added this one to my cataloged collection, Gaedel is a strange and fascinating figure in baseball's past.  In case you don't know, the 3' 7", 65-pound Gaedel, who suffered from dwarfism, actually took a Major League at-bat for the St. Louis Browns in 1951, wearing uniform number 1/2 (correction, as noted in the comments Eddie actually wore the number 1/8).  Think what you will of this odd publicity stunt, but I'm glad to have it documented on cardboard.

This Eiffel Tower mini from 2007 Allen & Ginter is the no number back version, another new addition to my small collection of Eiffel Tower on cardboard.

Closing it out for today are a couple of hockey cards from the dollar box.  This Teemu Selanne is an Elite insert from 1993-94 Donruss.  These cards were great pulls back in the day, numbered to a scant 10,000!  Couldn't pass up all that shininess for a buck though, and I love that Teemu is still playing!

Finally, a 2002-03 Foundations Phil Esposito, numbered to 1,250.  Not really sure why I grabbed this one, will probably trade it away someday...

4 comments:

Pro Set Cards said...

LOVE LOVE that Espo!

shoeboxlegends said...

Dave it's yours! I'll set it to the side to see if I can find some cards to go with it to justify the postage to Canada ;-)

Red Cardboard said...

actually, Gaedel wore the number 1/8, which is 37.5% more cheeky than 1/2.

shoeboxlegends said...

Thanks Red Cardboard, I verified that you are 100% correct. Not sure where I was thinking 1/2 from but I've updated the post. Thanks for pointing that out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...