Saturday, February 22, 2014

Haven't I Seen These Before?

I'm not quite sure what possessed me to do it, but I couldn't seem to help myself from dabbling with the buyback cards inserted into the 2014 Topps baseball set.  I guess it was a perfect storm as a team collector who loves vintage and is also a sucker for parallels.  I picked up a handful of Red Sox cards to satisfy the urge.

No, this is not the Jerry Casale from Devo.  This is the Jerry Casale who pitched just a few seasons in the majors in the late '50s and early '60s.  I absolutely love 1960 Topps, if I'm ever delusional enough to try to complete a set from the 1960s this would be the one.  Here you can see the 'Topps 75' silver foil logo in the upper right of this buyback version.


Here's a '65 Topps Dennis Bennett.  Mr. Bennett was a sub-.500 pitcher over 7 seasons with a few different franchises.  Sadly, he passed away in 2012 at age 72.


This 1968 Topps Jerry Adair is kind of a cool card, as he had been acquired the season prior and was key to the amazing 1967 season enjoyed by Boston.  He was apparently known for being clutch at the plate.


John Curtis was dealt off following the 1973 season, so he wasn't in Boston for very long after this card was created.

1973 Topps have some of the best backs of all-time.  This one highlights Curtis' off-season hobby as a sportswriter, a practice he'd continue well into retirement.

Finally, the best of the bunch by a long shot, a 1973 Topps Bill Lee in amazing condition!

These are somewhat interesting I guess, and at least they didn't set me back much, I think around $10 for the lot.  I think I'll stick to buying the originals from now on though...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...