Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Red Sox Collection - Hypocrite Edition

I've ranted many times about Topps and other companies just destroying the concept of the simple base set with an overload of bland inserts, multi-colored parallels, photo variations and other nonsense.  Because of this, I felt somewhat hypocritical when the friendly neighborhood mailman dropped off this card just last week:

I guess I just couldn't help myself.  Total impulse buy while trolling through eBay very late one night.  Since the major brands all but crushed the set collector out of me long ago, these sorts of things don't bother me as much as they used to.  I'm not sure why they couldn't have simply used this photo as David's base card in the set, but what do I know.  For $2 and change I thought this shot of Ortiz celebrating the 2013 AL East Championship with the fans in front of the Green Monster (donning beer goggles I might add) was worth adding to my Sox collection.

What really threw me off when scanning it in was that it's card #475, yet 2014 Topps Series 2 has not even been released yet.  Sometimes I wonder what goes on over there at Topps corporate headquarters...

3 comments:

Mark Kaz said...

Yeah, I find that strange, too. I mean, why not wait until Series 2 to release the Series 2 variations??

Play at the Plate said...

We're all a bit hypocritical because even though we might not like a set, we still want our teams/players from that set!

Anonymous said...

It's not worth the trouble to make absolutely everything fit the pattern. It's also less fun.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...