Monday, January 26, 2015

1953 Topps Project - Clyde Vollmer

As we prepare for a monster snowstorm here in the Northeast, I've got another addition to my 1953 Topps set.  Hopefully I can ride out this storm without losing power, but the snow's already coming down here so if Clyde Vollmer ends up atop the blog for a few days you know the reason...

Clyde Vollmer actually came up with the Cincinnati Reds all the way back in 1942.  He homered in his first big league at bat; he was only the fourth player ever to accomplish that feat.  After just 12 games played in the 1942 season Clyde, like so many ballplayers of this generation, was called to serve in World War II.  He would return to the Reds in 1946 after being relieved of his military duties.

Over the next few seasons Vollmer would play for the Reds, Senators and Red Sox before hanging up the spikes after the 1954 season.  In a career that spanned 10 years, he compiled a .251 lifetime average with 69 HR, 77 doubles, 500+ hits, and 339 RBI.

This card represents an interesting benchmark in my set.  The complete set contains 274 cards, and with this being my 74th I'm down to an even 200 cards left to chase.  Someday I'll get there!  Maybe...

Set Progress:  74 of 274 (27%)

4 comments:

Brad said...

Stay safe and keep warm. We're suppose to get the tail end of the storm that you're having.

Hackenbush said...

Good luck and stay safe. Hopefully it won't be as bad as they think.

Mark Hoyle said...

I think we are looking at 2'-3' of snow

shoeboxlegends said...

Thanks guys! Mark, I think you're right. Right now I've got between 18 and 20" and it's supposed to stay heavy for a few more hours here. So far so good on power, knock on wood!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...