Monday, January 12, 2015

Pack Rip - 2013-14 Upper Deck Series 1

Minimal amount of time for cards/blogging today, so how about a quick pack rip?

Here's another pack from the 2013-14 Upper Deck Series 1 tin that I picked up in a recent DA Card World order.  8 cards in total, let's see what I pulled...

One card in and this pack is already a winner in my book.  Krejci is my favorite current player, and a guy I collected seriously for a couple of years (until I decided player collecting wasn't my thing).  A great celebration shot here, and the first card in the set as well!

Was once named an All-Star.  I've heard the name, but honestly I don't know a whole lot about a bottom-tier defenseman who plays on the West coast.

Great card here, depicting a toothless Chris Neil.

Second pack in the tin, and already I've got my first short-printed Young Guns rookie!  If I meet the odds I should pull three of these in total, and Olli Maatta is a decent start.  Thanks to a depleted defensive corps in Pittsburgh, Maatta saw a lot of NHL ice time last year as a very young player.  He really held his own, enough so that this would have been a fairly hot rookie card about a year ago.

Unfortunately, in the time since he's had a rough go of it health-wise.  Though he bounced back very quickly from removal of a tumor from his neck earlier this season, one of his shoulders (which has already been operated on once) is apparently in rough shape.  He's been on IR and out of action for a few weeks now while they figure out a course of action.  Poor guy, so young and with a chance to play in the NHL already, you have to hope his luck changes...

Another guy having a rough year.  Matt looked like a solid 20-goal-a-year guy in his first couple of seasons with the Flyers.  This year he's lit the lamp just 3 times in 42 games played.  Ouch.

Love this horizontal shot, which gives you a great look at Varlamov's mask.

A Pens fan would have been pleased with this pack...

Closing things out is a guy who hails from my neck of the woods, Keith Yandle.  Keith was born and raised in Milton, MA, which I just drove through this morning on my commute to downtown Boston.

Well, that's a wrap on another pack of 2013-14 Upper Deck Series 1.  I'll probably show some more from this tin down the road...

4 comments:

Mark Hoyle said...

Great Krejci..

Brad said...

Nice pack! Solid hit with the Maatta Young Guns, he's a stud - hopefully he will be back again soon.

Hackenbush said...

Could be sacrilege or something but I'd rather open a pack of UD hockey than just about anything else.

Ana Lu said...

Pens fan here! Got happy just for looking at the cards.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...