Saturday, January 3, 2015

Cardboard Classics - From the Mouth of the Shark

I've always sort of liked the San Jose Sharks, since they joined the league at a time when I was a huge fan of the game as a kid.  Plus, it's been fun watching the Bruins' trading of Joe Thornton re-affirmed year after year when they flame out of the playoffs in the early rounds.  Okay, that was a bit harsh, I really do like the Sharks.  Today's card is right up there with my Arturs Irbe autograph as far as my favorite Sharks cards go...

When done right (aka an interesting, non-standard photograph), the Canvas inserts that Upper Deck has been rolling out the past few years have produced some of my favorite modern hockey cards.  This one's from the 2011-12 set, and the image is just perfect.

I came close to buying this one on COMC more than once, but never wanted to pay the buck or so that it generally demands on that site.  Patience paid off as it set me back much less than that as part of a recent insert/parallel lot.

I've got a few more Upper Deck Canvas cards to show in the coming weeks...

3 comments:

Brad said...

More Canvas cards in store, I'm excited - I recently picked up a Canvas lot myself.

That's a nice Marleau card indeed. I wonder how many cards feature a photograph of a player skating out of the shark mouth - the 1995-96 Topps Stadium Club Irbe card comes to mind. Collection idea?

shoeboxlegends said...

Oh man I totally forgot about that card! Gonna have to pick up a copy of that one!

Hackenbush said...

Great card. Upper Deck knows what they're doing when it comes to photography.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...