Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Selling Cards, Buying Cards - More 2019 Sales

Last year, as I began seriously working to whittle down the overall size of my collection, I dabbled in eBay sales for the first time.  I featured the results of my first half dozen sales here on the blog in July, then another batch of sales was reviewed here in September.  Well, although I got busy and never made the time to post about it, I enjoyed quite a few more sales over the course of the year.

Here's most of the rest of what I parted with...

This Reggie Jackson autograph from 1995 Upper Deck, while a fantastic card for an autograph lover like myself, just doesn't fit my more streamlined collection.  I had a feeling this one would go quickly, and it did for the sum of $32.00.

Collecting an entire run of Yaz's Topps/Donruss/Fleer cards in graded format was a goal I had at one time, but long ago abandoned.  So, I combined some of the less valuable cards from the '80s into batches figuring they'd do better that way at auction.  I unloaded this group of four '81s for $30.00...

...and this group of four '82/'83s for $45.00.  I was more than happy to unload these singles at a price point that worked out to nearly $10 per card.

Many years ago I flirted with the idea of completing a graded 1954-55 Topps hockey set, since it was the first Topps hockey release and is a manageable 60 cards deep.  Not going to happen though, and after years of sitting on just three of them I parted with this pair for $32.00.  The one I kept?  My Milt Schmidt, the last card on the checklist and one I'm just not willing to part with yet.

I let my 1989 Topps Traded Griffey RC go, mainly because the old-style PSA label was driving me nuts.  $15.00 for this one, a card I could absolutely see myself picking up another copy of down the line.

I think I grabbed this 1960 Topps Yankees team card many, many years ago because it was my cheap way of in some small sense owning a vintage Mickey Mantle.  Well, now that I have a few proper vintage Topps Mantle cards I had no qualms at all about letting this one go, especially not for the $50.00 it netted me!

See previous comments about completing a run of graded Yaz cards.  Honestly, I probably would have hung onto this one a bit longer, but again that old PSA label was driving my OCD insane.  Since I was on the fence about it that made the difference in the end, and I sold it for $30.00.

I'm not the autographed card hound that I used to be in the earlier days of this blog.  Nowadays I just want fewer, more significant cards, period.  That includes autographs.  Someone got what is in my opinion one of the better steals of this post when they grabbed this lot of two Rollie Fingers autos for $14.00.  The mustache on that Brewers card is worth $14 alone, am I right?

I figured this 1970 Banks would do well, since it's a relatively high number.  In the end it resulted in an $85.00 sale.  I could see myself picking up another copy of this one someday, but in a much lower grade and at less than half that price.

I was going to throw this '74 Bob Gibson into a lot, but was surprised to find it merited listing on its own, and I got $21.00 out of it.  Typically I don't want to list anything on eBay unless it's going to result in a sale of at least $15.  Just not worth the time and effort to list and ship if it isn't going to return at least that much.

I love Nolan Ryan and all, and this is a great card as well.  The thing is, I'd like to focus on completing his run of standard Topps cards before I go focusing on subsets like this one.  For $40.00 I reluctantly let this one go.  Doesn't hold a candle to the Ryan RC I featured last weekend!

A couple of superstars on 1979 Topps cards.  No idea what I was thinking when I purchased these two long ago, but was happy to let them go for a little more than the cost of a blaster at $20.25.

The most significant sale in today's post, and the only one to net me triple figures in return, was this 1960 Topps Early Wynn at exactly $100.00.  Why so much?  It's card #1 in the 1960 set, so condition can be tough and buyers pay a premium.

Couple of Red Sox stars here, that I have in raw format and just never really felt right in my collection slabbed.  Happy to let this pair go for an even $20.00.

Many years back I flirted with the idea of trying a low-grade Mars Attacks set.  Having given up on that I accepted $12.00 for this PSA 3 single (violating my own $15 or more rule).

Another card here that I almost included in a lot, but then listed solo and ended up $20.00 richer for it.

My only other graded Mars Attacks card (yeah, I bailed on that idea pretty quickly), this one brought in $15.00.

Finally, the hit king on a mint 1980 Topps card, slabbed a PSA 9.  Accepted a $25.00 offer for this guy.  Still have the Ozzie Smith from this set in a PSA 9 listed as well, and hoping to get at least $20.00 for that one someday.

So, there are a bunch more sales from last year.  With these now featured, I'm sort of reaching the end of the low-hanging fruit that's both easy to list/ship, but also carries some value.  Some quick math reveals that the cards in today's post resulted in me pulling in over $600.  Take a little bit away for fees and I'd still say I did well here, especially since these weren't really being appreciated by me anyway.

What did I use the proceeds on?  Well, I'm outta time for today, so you'll just have to check back later to see some of the spoils from this, as well as the remaining funds from the sale of my 1953 Topps partial set.  Until then, thanks as always for stopping by!

4 comments:

Nick said...

Looks like you netted a good chunk of change with these!

Fuji said...

It's interesting that UD put the hologram on the front of that Reggie autograph. All of the copies I've ever seen has the hologram on the back. Congratulations on adding some money to your collecting budget. Can't wait to see what you picked up.

CrazieJoe said...

I think you did quite well with what you got across the board - now I am curious to see what the money went into....

gregory said...

Sounds like you won't miss many of those cards, which is great. I'm staying tuned to see the resulting proceeds, like everyone else!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...