Sunday, March 8, 2020

Signature Sundays - Bobby V

Signature Sundays returns this week with yet another autograph from the first baseball card set I collected as a kid.  From the 2019 Topps Archives Signature Series release, I give you Bobby Valentine!

Bobby, once a highly touted prospect from Connecticut, had finished his playing career a good decade or more before the 1990 Topps set hit the shelves.  The Texas Rangers were his first gig as a manager, from 1985-1992, but he'd go on to manage the Mets and Red Sox as well, and even got in a few years behind the bench over in Japan.

As for the card itself, you may have noticed that this particular autograph is a '1/1'.  I don't really care much about the scarcity of the autographs for this little side project of mine, just the authenticity.  I'd gladly have snatched up a version of this card with more copies in existence to save a little coin, but as it stands this one only set me back around the cost of a retail blaster and I guess it's kind of neat to have a 1/1 in this collection.

My recollection of Bobby's lone season managing the Red Sox (2012) was that it was a bit of a disaster.  He had a very unique style, and to this day I remember complaints about the odd training regimen he forced the players to adopt during Spring Training that year.

I don't think this stint with the Rangers was a whole lot better, and he was actually fired by George Bush in 1992!  Cool bar stool trivia fact I suppose.

So, there's your autograph for the week, and the latest addition to my 'Topps Baseball Autographs of My Youth' collection.  That collection is now up to 6 autographs from 1990 Topps, 2 from 1990 Topps Traded, and a trio from 1992 Topps Kids.  Coming along! 

Well, that's a wrap for today.  Until next time, thanks as always for stopping by and enjoy your Sunday!

1 comment:

Fuji said...

I love the Topps Kids buyback autographs. There was a time when I was buying up lots of these cards on eBay... and right after looking for familiar names, I'd look to see if there were any Topps Kids cards.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...