Friday, August 1, 2014

Cardboard Classics - 1991-92 O-Pee-Chee Gordie Roberts

Quick post this morning, as I'm exhausted after a 16-hour work day yesterday. Here's a card I recently rediscovered when scanning and organizing a box of junk wax a few weeks ago:

I was 9 years old when this set came out, so I'm sure I'm more than a little biased, but I always liked 1991-92 O-Pee-Chee.  This card has to feature one of the best photographs in the entire set.  A smiling Gordie Roberts holding the greatest trophy in all of sports.  Also, it's amazing just how much the equipment has changed in the last 20 years or so, look at those shoulder pads!  How'd you like to take a body check from Alex Ovechkin at full speed wearing those?

4 comments:

Pro Set Cards said...

Cool post! I remember when that set came out too. I bought a couple boxes to chase the insert set. When I completed the insert set I stopped buying them because I was a bit snobbish with the Upper Deck and Parkhurst stuff on the market. A year or two ago I bought up an unopened factory set for very cheap and I have that on a shelf.

Part of me would love to have another set of these to look at but I guess it isn't high enough on the priority list as of yet. My LCS does have a vending box (500 cards) of this set for 5 bucks!

shoeboxlegends said...

Thanks Dave! I'd snatch a vending box of this stuff for $5 in a second!

Mark Kaz said...

Neat card! Man, if you don't stop you're going to get me hooked on hockey cards before too long...

shoeboxlegends said...

That's how I feel whenever I see a cool basketball or football card posted. Just have to remind myself that two sports is MORE than enough!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...