Tuesday, May 24, 2016

A Bevy of Boston Baseball Cards

Time to clear out some room in my scans folder.  I can think of no better way to do so than to show off a pile of Red Sox cards that arrived from all different destinations...

In the lead-off spot I've got this sweet Bowman Chrome Blue Wave Refractor rookie card of the hottest hitter in MLB, Jackie Bradley Jr!  Unless you've been living under a rock you've probably heard about his impressive hitting streak, which stands at 27 straight games heading into tonight.  It's not like he's squeaking out infield hits either, in the one month since this began he is batting an astounding .411 including 18 extra-base hits and the best OPS in the Majors during that stretch!

How about some printing plates up next?  These have been sitting in my scans folder for at least a couple of years, about time they got posted.  This is the Magenta plate that was used to make the 2011 Bowman's Best Adrian Gonzalez insert.


Here's the card the plate was used for!

Next up is the Yellow plate from 2011 Bowman Chrome...


...and the card it was used to produce!

Finally, a Cyan plate from 2012 Topps Finest.

Turns out I don't have the corresponding card to show for this one though.  These were picked up back in the day when I was chasing as many Adrian Gonzalez Red Sox cards as I could get my hands on.  I've kinda cooled on them over time though, I guess they're neat enough but I don't view them as anything particularly special within my collection.

Travis Shaw has certainly helped Sox fans forget about that awful Pablo Sandoval contract.  This is my only solo card of Shaw's, and came in a trade with Chris of A Blog to Be Named Later.  Chris seems to have fallen off the radar; I hope he's still enjoying collecting and just hasn't found the time to blog.

Here's one that came from the quarter box at my local hobby shop, which I haven't made it to in way too long now.  Must be at least four or five months since I've been able to stop in.  I really need to find a couple of hours to get back there and dig around at some point, but it's easier said than done given my work hours and the shop's hours.

Because I must acquire every colored Red Sox parallel in existence...

Ditto.  Not to mention I'm admittedly a total sucker for Upper Deck Baseball Heroes.

This one is actually a mini, one of the seemingly endless flavors to come out of 2014 Bowman Chrome.  Henry here has made just three starts this year for a combined 12.1 innings pitched.  He hasn't exactly lit it up either, with an ERA north of 5.00 and a WHIP greater than 2.1.

Acetate cards may be one of the few things I enjoy more than colored parallels.  I'm happy to see that High Tek will be returning again in 2016, and I'm hoping Xander Bogaerts or Mookie Betts makes the checklist.

This is by far the best card that came about as a result of Grady Sizemore's 52 games with Boston.  I've posted one or two other variations of it before, now the Purple refractor joins that group!

I wouldn't bother vigorously chasing a team set of these 10th Anniversary black Allen & Ginter "X" cards, but when I find one for around 50 cents like this one was I can't seem to help myself.

Two of my favorite cards in this post would have to be these '72 Kellogg's cards, which are in absolutely mint shape.

Best part is, these are the only two Red Sox in the '72 Kellogg's set, so that is a complete team set right there!

In pretty much my only "retail weakness" moment of 2016 so far, I picked up a $9.99 blaster of Opening Day a few weeks back.  It actually ended up being a very enjoyable break, especially since my lone parallel was this great shot of Sox utility man Brock Holt nabbing a line drive.

Running out of time, so we'll cut it here for today.  This beauty is a card Topps created in the spirit of '53 Bowman and distributed at last year's National.  I've still never been to a National, and I don't recall having seen this card posted elsewhere, so I was pretty excited when I ran across a copy for pocket change on COMC.  A fantastic shot of the Splendid Splinter, for sure!

So there you have it, a few more Red Sox cards off the top of the seemingly endless pile.  Thanks for reading as always!

3 comments:

Brad said...

I've been tempted to have another go with Topps Opening Day. I wish I knew more about baseball. Seems like a difficult sport t begin following.

Anonymous said...

Every time I see one of those "All-Time Fan Favorites" cards, I think "I need to get more of those". Great cards!

Hackenbush said...

I do love that Dustin acetate.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...