Thursday, February 23, 2017

Buyback Franken-set: A Hand-Picked Quartet

I've driven hundreds of miles the past couple of days for work, and have a 16-hour stress-filled day today, so this will be brief.  Just a quick quartet of buybacks that I picked up a few weeks back on eBay...

1967 Topps #375 - Jake Gibbs

I don't know much about Jake Gibbs; he served as a backup catcher for the Yankees for a number of years.  I just like the classic photograph on this one, and it was also a card number that was missing from the franken-set previously, so it just made sense to pick up.

1967 Topps #318 - Dave Giusti

Since that seller offered combined shipping at no extra cost I grabbed two more Heritage buybacks from last year, the first being Dave Giusti.  Dave is better remembered as a Pirate, as he led the NL in saves in 1971 when Pittsburgh won the World Series.  A nice enough card, but it has some competition when it comes to franken-set induction:

There are just so many things I love about this card, not the least of which is the fact that it's easily one of the more colorful cards in the entire binder.

Giusti didn't stand a chance.

1967 Topps #33 - Sal Bando/Randy Schwartz

Here's the last of the trio of '67 buybacks I grabbed, Sal Bando's rookie card!  A very cool buyback indeed, but the competition for the franken-set binder is really starting to heat up...

Ladies man Bo Belinsky stands in between Sal Bando and franken-set glory.  Man this is a tough call...

I'm going with Bando, though I know at least one regular reader who I think will disagree with me.

1990 Topps #3 - Nolan Ryan

Here's the last buyback for today, also from eBay.  I know 1990 Topps is beyond ugly, but it has a special place in my heart as the first baseball card set I ever ripped a pack of, or collected heavily.  As such, at the outset of this project I envisioned the five-card Nolan Ryan subset that kicked off that set on the very first page of my franken-set.

This one now gives me cards 1-4, but I'm still in search of a buyback version of that elusive card #5 featuring Ryan tipping his cap in a Rangers uniform.  To this day I've never seen a 2016 buyback version to match my other four, however I know at least a few of them were stamped for the 2017 "Rediscover Topps" buyback promotion, so I hope to close that gap soon.

Well, that's it for now, back to work...

Franken-set Progress:  323/792 (41%)
"Rejected" Buybacks:  105
Total Buybacks in Collection:  428
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...