Sunday, May 28, 2017

1950 Bowman - Post #1 - Maurice McDermott (The Beginning)

Recently I've been in a bit of a hobby funk.  My buyback franken-set has kept my interest, but I have hundreds of buybacks already in hand just waiting to be processed for that particular project so there's not much need to seek out others, at least at this stage.

In giving some thought as to what might inject a dose of motivation I came up with a project that I'm shocked I haven't already tried tackling to date...

...1950 Bowman!

This set has always evoked feelings of nostalgia for me, largely because the Maurice McDermott card you see above was the first true vintage card I ever owned.  My Dad bought it for me when I was probably 8 years old or so, from a bin of random vintage baseball cards at an antiques store a few towns over.

Though I had no idea who Mickey McDermott was at the time, this card was the catalyst to my enjoyment of the hobby that, while it went dormant for a few years there, remains to this day.  I thought it was the coolest thing to have a baseball card from decades before I ever took my first breath, and I still do.

We all have those memories that, for whatever reason, we recall vividly, and for me one of those is a memory of my Dad snickering about the fact that McDermott is referred to as "String-bean Maury" on the back of this card.  Hell, this one has so much sentimental value for me that I ranked it my #1 Red Sox card in a countdown a few years back.

So yeah, I'm going to take a crack at completing the 1950 Bowman set.  It won't be easy, and if I ever manage to complete the set it will become the oldest that I've finished off by a long shot.  We'll see how it goes, but I've stepped off the ledge here and am one card in already!

In the unlikely event that you have any of these you'd be up for trading, I've updated my want list...

Set Progress:  1 of 252 (.4% Complete)

6 comments:

Billy Kingsley said...

Good luck! Poughkeepsie is literally the next town over for me. (Actually, it's a city, but that's not the phrase, lol)

Commishbob said...

This'll be fun to follow! What an awesome set to chase.

Mark Kaz said...

Awesome -- good luck, Shane! Great story, and a great new quest for you.

Pro Set Cards said...

Ohhh what a beautiful card. This definitely seems like a fun and worthwhile project. Best of luck.

Mark Hoyle said...

Goodluck with the chase

GCA said...

I'm about to start '50B too! I've got a friend whose neighbor has a couple dozen '50s that she needs to sell. If I find a good source, I'll pick you up a few too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...