Wednesday, February 21, 2018

1950 Bowman - Post #7 - Ken Heintzelman

Last year I officially decided to chase the 1950 Bowman baseball set, as sort of a life-long goal.  The first vintage card I ever got my hands on as a kid was the Maurice McDermott from this release, a gift from my Dad from an antiques store near our house.  I've been enamored with these under-sized cards ever since.

I've got a few of these back-logged; cards I've picked up over the past few months but just haven't found the time to scan or post.  Since we're almost two months into 2018 here it's about time I got around to featuring one.

Not much of an introduction, but here's Ken Heintzelman...

Ken actually saw his first MLB action all the way back in 1937, with the Pittsburgh Pirates.  He remained with the Pirates until 1947, posting a 37-43 record with a 4.14 ERA during his time with the team (where he was sometimes a starter, sometimes worked out of the bullpen).

During the 1947 season the Phillies purchased him from Pittsburgh, and he spent the remaining few seasons of his career with Philadelphia.  His best season was probably his age 33 campaign in 1949, where he was used exclusively as a starter, a move that paid dividends for the Phil's to the tune of a 17-10 record, a respectable 3.02 ERA and 5 shutouts!

Here's a look at the back.  Lot of overlap with what I just wrote above actually, whoops.  What the back doesn't mention is that, like so many in his generation, Ken missed a few of what would have been the prime years of his career fighting in WWII.  The Greatest Generation, indeed.

Well, that's all I've got time for tonight.  I'm tired, today was a long one, so I might not be doing this card the justice it deserves.  Like all of the cards I've seen from this release, it's a real beauty.  Hopefully it doesn't take another two months for me to get around to posting another one of these...

Thanks for checking in!

Set Progress:  7 of 252 (2% Complete)

3 comments:

Chris said...

Really nice card, I can't wait to see more of your vintage gems. I've been keeping a lookout for these on COMC for you.. haven't found a good deal yet but if I do I'll let you know.

Mark Hoyle said...

Nice Shane

Kin said...

I wish cards were still like this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...