Sunday, February 18, 2018

Buyback Franken-set: Stiff Competition

Tonight's buyback franken-set post really shows just how difficult it's beginning to get to make the binder as I approach 1,000 total buybacks here.  The first couple of cards in particular drew some match-ups that were just brutal...

1979 Topps #260 - Richie Zisk

Heavy airbrushing aside, this 1979 Richie Zisk isn't a bad card.  Zisk gets the extra AL All-Star banner added to his card, having been selected to play in the midsummer classic in both '77 and '78.

Unfortunately, this fantastic Frank Malzone buyback is already in slot 260 of the franken-set binder.  This is the oldest buyback I've obtained from the 2017 "Rediscover Topps" promotion, and for a Red Sox fan like myself this card is darn near untouchable when it comes to the franken-set.

It certainly won't be unseated by Richie Zisk's airbrushed helmet...

1974 Topps #41 - Bobby Floyd

Next up is a '74 Topps buyback of middle infielder Bobby Floyd.  Bobby managed to appear in just 10 games in 1974, the final 10 of his big league career.  Nothing all that special about this one, and when I flipped to the fifth page of the binder to see if Floyd made the cut I encountered this one sitting in slot 41:

Ouch!  I'm a total sucker for the combo cards of the '50s and '60s.  This Willie McCovey/Leon Wagner Friendly Foes buyback courtesy of 2013 Topps Heritage is one of the better buybacks in the binder, period.

Stiff competition, indeed!

1978 Topps #603 - Will McEnaney

After a rough start for the first two contestants, things get a bit easier for Will McEnaney.  This is the first #603 buyback I've acquired to date, so Will makes the cut as a new number for the binder!  McEnaney pitched in just 6 games in '78 (for the Pirates, not the Expos), so despite a somewhat interesting photo Will's spot in the binder going forward is anything but a lock.

1980 Topps #69 - Rick Williams

Prior to last year's "Rediscover" promotion, it was difficult to find many buybacks from 1980 and newer.  That (along with the tequila sunrise Astros uni) makes this Rick Williams buyback somewhat unique.

This Spring Training shot of Phil Gagliano has been holding down slot 69 for a while now...

...and will continue to do so for the time being.

1989 Topps #346 - Rex Hudler

Utility player Rex Hudler swatted just .245 in 92 games with Montreal in 1989.  Not exactly numbers that make for a stellar case for franken-set induction...

 ...especially not when you're facing off against a '60s Red Sox buyback.

One of those rare cases where a cap-less player beats out one wearing proper skull attire.

1969 Topps #576 - Ron Stone/Bill Wilson

Neither one of these guys enjoyed a stellar career, but this is still a decent buyback as it's a fairly high numbered card for a '69.  In fact, it's the second highest numbered 1969 buyback I've picked up to date, and it makes the franken-set as my first #576 buyback.

1973 Topps #312 - Oscar Brown

1973 was the end of the line for Oscar Brown, whose MLB career consists of 160 games played over five seasons with the Braves.  I don't care much about condition when it comes to my buybacks, but I have to say this is about the most mint '70s buyback in my collection to date.

Ooh, tough draw for Oscar, as I really enjoy this Don Carrithers.

Yeah, I'm going with the powder blue Expos uniform and all that green grass.

1978 Topps #531 - Tom Underwood

I think the photographer's focus was just off when snapping the photo used on this '78 Tom Underwood.  Either that or maybe my copy suffers from some kind of printing flaw.  It's amazing that Tom has a card depicting him with St. Louis, as he played just half a season with the team in 1977.

Another tough match-up here, as Underwood draws the 1974 Topps Expos coaches card.  This one's notable because it's the lone appearance for the great Larry Doby in the franken-set binder.

You had to know how that one was gonna go.

1969 Topps #187 - Leon Wagner

I like this '69 Topps issue of big Leon Wagner.  It's a unique card too, given that Leon never actually suited up for so much as a single game with the Reds!  Does that random fact give it enough of an edge for it to make the binder?

Well, Leon will have to oust Darren Daulton here.  The most interesting part of this card to me is the person standing behind the netting there.  Hard to tell but it almost looks like a background dancer from an '80s music video.

Daulton stays for now.

1990 Topps #766 - Brian Meyer

Last card of the day, and another new number to boot!  That's three new numbers in today's grouping of ten, which is about the best I can hope for at this stage of the project.  Someday I hope to land another #766 buyback so that I can shift Brian here over to my 1990 Topps buyback binder.

Thanks for stopping by and checking out another batch of buybacks with me.  Nearly two years in I'm still just as passionate about this project as the day I kicked it off.  In another few posts I'll be passing the 1,000 buybacks threshold, and I've got something special planned for that!

Franken-set Progress:  534/792 (67%)
"Rejected" Buybacks:  435
Total Buybacks in Collection: 969

6 comments:

Chris said...

Wow, some tough battles indeed. That Oscar Brown is sharp! Not the best photo, and it's tough to knock off an Expo (as Underwood learned the hard way) but I hope you can find a use for it (or a trade partner)

Richie Zisk and his airbrushed helmet had no chance against that '58 Frank Malzone. Great card!

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Hey Shane, I'd be interested in that rejected Braves Oscar Brown here. (and any other Braves rejects, lol). Drop me an email.

night owl said...

Oof, rejecting Daddy Wags.

I don't think Zisk's helmet is airbrushed in that card. He's definitely airbrushed into Rangers gear on his '78 card (and it lacks the all-star badge!)

Brett Alan said...

Leon Wagner hot post!

I love the football goal posts in the background of the Ollie Brown card.

Fuji said...

That Friendly Foes card is fantastic! This post had some tough battles... but those are always the most entertaining.

Pro Set Cards said...

The ride continues! Love it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...