Thursday, February 14, 2019

And Now for Something Completely Different...A Whalers Rookie Game Roster

I plan to cover a few non-card items from my sports collection on the blog this year in a series I am blatantly stealing the name of in "And Now for Something Completely Different".  Actually, rather than a blatant rip-off, let's call it a tribute.  After all, I've always loved Monty Python.  Though they were admittedly a little before my time so to speak, I've always enjoyed both the show and the fantastic movies that...

GET ON WITH IT!

Ah, was starting to ramble a bit there, let's take a look at the first item...

This is a larger item, a full 8 1/2" x 11" paper actually, so I'd encourage you to click on the image above for a larger view.  What you're looking at is a roster/lineup sheet from a rookies exhibition game played between the New York Islanders and the Hartford Whalers on September 23, 1985.  I picked this up a few years back because I thought it was a really awesome and unique addition to my Whalers collection.

I really couldn't find much information out on the internet related to this game, so I ended up asking the seller.  It turns out that the game was played at one of the Islanders practice facilities as a way for the teams to exercise some of their younger talent and provide fans with a cheap and enjoyable event.  The person I bought this from was the original owner, and was about 10 years old at the time of the game.

I was intrigued by the autograph that you can see here, just to the right of the Islanders roster for the game.  Not an easy one to make out by any means, but I felt pretty strongly that the initials didn't match anyone on either roster as far as I could tell.

I ended up getting some clarification on this from the seller as well, and it turns out the autograph is Gord Dineen of the famed Dineen hockey family.  The seller asked his father, who had taken him to the game, for information on the signature, and he recalled that Gord (who had already seen enough action with the Islanders that he was no longer considered a rookie at this point) was there to watch and support his brother Peter, who was playing in the game for the Whalers.

To me, this made the piece even cooler.  Not only did I have an interesting backstory from the original owner to accompany it, but the Dineens are well-known to Whalers fans as Peter and Gord's brother Kevin was one of the most talented and most beloved players ever to suit up for Hartford!  I have so many cards featuring Kevin with the Whalers, it's kind of cool to have a piece of memorabilia that ties both of his brothers who also played in the NHL to the team in some small way.

Here's a closer look at the Whalers roster for this one.  Some names I certainly recognize there who would go on to play a significant number of games in Whaler green, including both goalies, Brad Shaw, Sylvan Cote and Dean Evason among others.

I also found it interesting that there's an Andy Brickley listed here?!?!  I have no idea what's going on with that, the Andy Brickley that enjoyed an 11-year NHL career and is the current color commentator for the Bruins was never associated with the Whalers franchise.  Also, though he was a left wing/center which matches the Andy Brickley listed here, he was past being considered a rookie by this point as well.  Who is this bizzaro-Brickley?

The Andy Brickley I know did play some games with the Springfield Indians around this time, who were relatively nearby and I believe were a minor league affiliate of the Pittsburgh Penguins.  I'm guessing that has to be him on the roster, given that he was around the right age and was playing minor league hockey in the area.  Can't be a coincidence, can it?

I'm really glad that I drifted out of my normal collecting comfort zone and picked this up.  Especially since I was the sole bidder at just $2.99.  Have you ever picked up lineup cards, score sheets or anything similar for any of the sports you enjoy collecting?  Would love to hear about it in the comments if so!

4 comments:

The Shlabotnik Report said...

IT'S...

...a very cool collectible you've got there. :-)

Every now and then I see a lineup card from a baseball game and think it would be cool to own something like that, but I never pull the trigger.

Billy Kingsley said...

That's neat. I always enjoyed the peripheral stuff from whatever hobby it is I'm focused on at the time. I have a few scoring sheets in my collection for NASCAR.

Pro Set Cards said...

What a super addition to your collection. I love flipping through old memorabilia like that, do you plan on framing it?

gregory said...

Really cool pick-up! Funny enough, I have a small stack of Islanders roster sheets and media printouts from the mid-1980s. Most of them are related to specific playoff games, so I'm not sure if I've got any Islanders vs. Whalers sheets, but I'll check. (No, that wasn't meant to be a subtle dig at your beloved Whalers.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...