Thursday, May 28, 2020

Buyback Franken-set: This Guy Really WAS Everywhere

Today's Buyback Franken-set contestant is inspired by a great post over at Night Owl Cards, where Greg explored how prevalent Bert Campaneris was on Topps baseball cards during his career.

1966 Topps #175 - Bert Campaneris

Can we include my Buyback Franken-set though in terms of places where Bert Campaneris resides?  I'd sure like to think so, as this 1966 buyback is a real beauty.  This card actually did not make an appearance in Night Owl's post, but many other cards showing Bert in the act of bunting sure did.  Just a great shot of Campaneris on this card, those '60s A's uniforms were fantastic.

Nice clean back too, with a cartoon that references Bert pacing the AL in stolen bases in '65 (a feat he'd accomplish again in '66, and then two more seasons in a row after that!).

So, does this make the binder?

Well, I had this '78 Jerry Morales in slot 175.

I say "had" because he was vacated in favor of Campaneris immediately.  Not exactly a nail-biting call there.

So I concur, this guy really was everywhere.  And now he's in my Buyback Franken-set as well!

Franken-set Progress: 672/792 (84%)
1990 Topps Buyback Set: 134/792 (16%)
"Rejected" Buybacks: 711
Total Buybacks in Collection: 1,517

6 comments:

Brett Alan said...

The Morales is a perfectly nice baseball card, nothing wrong with it at all...but the Campy is something special!

gogosox60 said...

You can't beat empty folding chairs as part of the spring training background!!

night owl said...

Even though Campy is showing bunt, that card is a home run!

Chris said...

I'm with Brett, I like the '78 Morales but Campy is the clear choice here. Great card!

Nick said...

Hey, I also have a '66 Topps Campy buyback! Mine's one of the Topps 75th anniversary ones though. Glad he made the frankenset!

Fuji said...

I love me some Campy and the Athletics franchise... but I've never really liked that particular uniform.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...