Thursday, February 26, 2009

Masterpieces from Zachary

I'm already starting to fall behind on posting trades, so time for some catch up. A few weeks ago a reader named Zachary contacted me because he had a dozen or so 2008-09 Upper Deck Legends Masterpieces cards that I needed for my set. In return I sent him a package of mixed hockey cards that I hope exceeded his expectations. Hockey cards collectors aren't as common as baseball card collectors in my experience, so I always try to go above and beyond when someone is generous enough to send hockey cards my way. The cards were a huge help towards completing this set, thanks Zachary! Here are my 3 favorites out of what was sent:

#74 - Guy Lafleur - Guy was one of my favorite players when I was younger. By the time I started watching hockey he was in the twilight of his career, but I always liked pulling his cards because he was one of the older players who was grandfathered when they began to require helmets in the NHL. I always think of Guy as a Montreal Canadien (in fact he's got another cards in this set depicting him as a Hab), so this Ranger card was a strange one to include in the set in my opinion.

#23 - Mike Bossy - I bet if you were to ask younger hockey fans to list the players who achieved the 50 goals in 50 games plateau, the name most likely to be left out would be Mike Bossy. Mike was the man back in the early 80's when the Islanders were dominating the NHL. Then Wayne Gretzky and the Edmonton Oilers came along and arguably overtook the Islanders as the team of the decade. This nicely ties in to the final card I'm showing...

#38 - Wayne Gretzky - This is just a great card all around. It depicts what I feel is one of the most memorable and timeless moments from hockey's history, a young Wayne Gretzky hoisting the Stanley Cup with a gleeful expression on his face.

Thanks for helping me get closer to completing my set Zachary! And now, I will shamelessly ask the blogging community for help. If anyone reading this has any of the following 2008-09 Masterpieces hockey cards please get in touch with me, I really want to get this one completed!

2, 4, 10, 11, 12, 15, 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 25, 26, 30, 33, 34, 35, 39, 40, 42, 49, 50, 52, 54, 58, 65, 69, 71, 72, 77, 78, 79, 80, 82, 84

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...