Sunday, April 29, 2018

Buyback Franken-set: Le Grand Orange

Just a one card post today.  Now that I'm caught up on incoming buyback trade packages I've got a chance to feature some buybacks that I've picked up myself for my franken-set project.

1967 Topps #73 - Rusty Staub

Like this great Heritage box-topper buyback of Rusty Staub!  Staub was really starting to reach his full potential as a player by 1967.  He hit a career high .333 that year, and led the league with 44 doubles!  Rusty was selected as an All-Star for the first time in his career this season as well, and was even named on a few MVP ballots.

I pretty much stole this one if you ask me, grabbing it off of COMC for less than $2 late last year, before Staub passed away a few weeks ago.  Does it make the franken-set, though?

Well, slot 73 in the binder already has an occupant...

...and it's a very nice buyback as well, a '59 Ron Jackson.  It's no small feat to oust a '50s buyback from the franken-set binder.

Staub is up to the challenge though!

Very pleased with this one.  It may not get me any closer percentage-wise to completing the franken-set since I already had a #73, but it sure does strengthen the quality of the binder.  A couple bucks well spent, I have a feeling #73 is now locked down as far as this project goes!

Franken-set Progress: 594/792 (75%)
1990 Topps Buyback Set: 64/792 (8%)
"Rejected" Buybacks: 447
Total Buybacks in Collection: 1,105

4 comments:

Kin said...

I believe you chose well.

Brett Alan said...

That is a beautiful card.

Fuji said...

You know things are good when you're removing a '59 buyback from your set.

Nick said...

Hard to beat Rusty!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...