Sunday, September 27, 2020

Cardboard Keepers - First Football Card!

Time for the next installment of Cardboard Keepers, a thought experiment in which I theoretically whittle my entire collection down to just 2,000 cards; 1,000 baseball keepers, and 1,000 "other" keepers.

Today's entry into this project is not only the first football card to be selected, but it's also brand spankin' new to me, as I just picked it up a couple of days ago...

Always wanted a Johnny Unitas card, and always loved the simplistic design of the 1964 Philadelphia football set.  This one is made even cooler by the fact that the Golden Arm was named NFL MVP in '64, his second of three career MVP awards.

I scored this copy at a small antiques store in my neck of the woods for the very reasonable price of $15.  It's in remarkably good shape, and I'm thrilled to have this be my lone representation of Unitas in my collection to date.

Here's a look at the back, nice and clean as well.  Pretty rough cartoon if you're a Steelers fan!

 

That's really all for today, just seemed like NFL football Sunday was the perfect day to unveil this beauty.  I may not have many football cards, but I sure am glad to have this one, and it's certainly a worthy card to be the first football representation in this project!

The non-baseball Cardboard Keepers collection is up to 28 cards in size now, and can be viewed here.  I've still got a long way to go, with 972 cards remaining to be selected.  I'll be back soon with the next card or group of cards for the project, but until then thanks as always for stopping by!

5 comments:

Chris said...

Wow, that Johnny U looks pack fresh! Great card, and a great bargain!

John Sharp said...

Terrific card of John Unitas.

Shlabotnik Report said...

That's a awfully nice card... and this Steelers fan was aware of the Johnny U connection and just shrugs 65 years later. :-)

Fuji said...

That's a nice find. Any vintage Unitas card is cool... but it's a nice bonus when they're in as good as shape as yours.

gregory said...

The artist did a great job with that cartoon. As for the card front, I can almost smell the fresh-cut grass. Great addition to Cardboard Keepers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...