Monday, October 10, 2011

Panini Dominion Brass Bonanza - Paul Coffey

Time for the next installment of the Brass Bonanza autograph set from this year's Panini Dominion release. Today, we have card #5, the first Hall-of-Famer:

I figured it only made sense to show this card next, as Coffey came to the Whalers in the same trade that brought Keith Primeau (whose card I showed off last) to Hartford. While Primeau was on the roster for the entire 1996-97 season though, Coffey was dealt to the Philadelphia Flyers after just 20 games played in a Hartford sweater. You could make an argument that player selection has been questionable so far with this insert set. 20 career games for Coffey, 1 season for Primeau, and 20 career games for Daryl Reaugh. In terms of the significance of the auto itself though, this Paul Coffey card blows the other two away. One of the top offensive-minded defensemen of his era, Paul's distinguished career includes some of the following highlights:
  • 4-time Stanley Cup champion
  • 3-time Norris Trophy winner
  • 14-time All-Star
  • Currently 2nd in career goals, assists and points for a defenseman (behind Ray Bourque)
  • Currently 13th in career points for any position
  • Holds NHL records for most goals in a season by a defenseman (48) and most points in a game by a defenseman (8)
  • Holds NHL records for most goals, assists and points by a defenseman in a playoff year
  • Inducted into the Hockey Hall-of-Fame (2004)
Not a bad resume! I would have to say this is one of the better on-card autos in my hockey card collection.

Like the first two cards I've shown, Paul's is numbered to 50 copies.

My Set:

#3 - Keith Primeau (#'d/50)
#5 - Paul Coffey (#'d/50)
#8 - Daryl Reaugh (#'d/50)

2 comments:

Captain Canuck said...

I think I creatd a monster....

Anonymous said...

The more of these I see the more impressed I am by this set. Best of luck in finishing it off!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...