Sunday, April 23, 2017

Buyback Franken-set: A Personal Hero Joins the Binder

Just a quick, single buyback to evaluate tonight, but it's a good one if you ask me.  Recently I had the chance to grab a buyback rookie card of one of my personal idols, and I jumped:

1989 Topps #573 - Jim Abbott RC

I have some fond memories of collecting Jim Abbott's rookie as a kid.  If I give it an honest evaluation now it's a big clunky, with Jim pictured in his college uniform, with a pink Angels banner and that large #1 Draft Pick graphic.  Still, I couldn't resist the opportunity to add to the project this card of one of the most inspiring athletes ever to play baseball.

Here's the back, featuring Jim's college stats as well as a write-up about his time at Michigan and with the 1988 US Olympic Team.

Just one problem...if the Abbott card is to make the binder it will have to supplant another Angels pitcher:

I like this one quite a bit, but it doesn't stand a chance against Abbott.

Yeah, that was kind of a foregone conclusion to me.  No offense to Night Owl.

Happy to have Jim included in this project.  I have a feeling this is one buyback that will still be standing at the end if/when I ever complete the set!

Franken-set Progress:  394/792 (50%)
"Rejected" Buybacks:  183
Total Buybacks in Collection: 577

4 comments:

Nick said...

Very cool! I've had that Abbott in my collection since about as long as I've been collecting, it seems. It was one of the first rookie cards I remember getting real excited about.

Pro Set Cards said...

Awesome card and great progress with your set. I don't doubt you will complete this one and own a cool piece of baseball card history. I honestly believe there are a few must haves in your set and Jim Abbott is one of them. Great choice!

Fuji said...

This card is sweet! Gonna need to find one for my collection.

shoeboxlegends said...

Thanks guys!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...