Sunday, April 9, 2017

Signature Sundays - Super Break Certified

Today's autograph came courtesy of a "Super Break" repack.  These are sold as like a "hobby box" that consists of a handful of hits that are all through-the-mail or in person autographs.  I didn't buy a box or anything, nor would I given the terrible reviews.  Didn't stop me from sniping a single off of eBay for the minimum opening bid of 99 cents though!

Here's the card I won, the newest addition to my small side project of collecting 1989-90 Topps/O-Pee-Chee hockey autos.

As you can see, these come in Card Saver sleeves with a Super Break Certified "seal of authenticity" across the top.  You know, in case I ever need to prove in court that my 99-cent John Anderson autograph is indeed authentic.

Here's a better look at the card without all that other nonsense.  I've always liked this one, just a simple shot of Anderson on the bench in glorious Whaler green.  He was pretty liberal in signing the card with some nice, large pen strokes too.

John played the final 3+ years of his 12-year NHL career in Hartford.  He actually began '89-90 with the AHL Binghamton Whalers, then left for Italy, so it turns out that '88-89 was actually his final NHL season.  That makes this a "sunset" card, and makes these...

...Anderson's final career stats.

I'm pumped to land this one.  It doesn't get a whole lot better for me on the nostalgia scale than '89-90 Topps.  Make it a Whalers card to boot and I'm in heaven.  For a dollar, this card brings me as much enjoyment as others I've spent 50 times that to acquire!

1 comment:

Fuji said...

Whoever came out with this product is a genius. I know a guy who has been collecting IP autos for decades and he fills one or two binders each season from visiting teams and about half a binder worth of Sharks. He's always wondering what the heck he's going to do with all of those signatures when he gets tired of collecting them. I think I found the solution.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...