Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Organizing My Collection


I spent quite a while looking around online for a database that I could use to keep track of my cards, but ultimately just couldn't find one that fit what I was looking for. I had a couple of hours free today, so I installed Microsoft Access and started to play around. So far what I've come up with is pictured above.

I never had much Access experience except for a crappy data entry job I had in college, so I'm sure I butchered this thing and any developer who knows anything about Access or Visual Basic programming would probably laugh their ass off, but this works for me. Just a simple logo, a few fields that I care to track, and a place for a scan of each card. What's nice is that these fields will now all be totally searchable.

If anyone out there has knowledge of Microsoft Access and would like to try to improve upon this I'd love to pass it along to be cleaned up and made better...

2 comments:

deal said...

you can probably add dropdowns for fields that have a finite number of values (Brand, team Name, Condition) This may make your data entry process simpler - and eliminates typos and duplicate names (LA Angels, California Angels).

perhaps a location where you keep the card.

Mark said...

Shane ~ I'm not an Access wizard, but I do know a little bit, and have been working on something similar to organize my collection. Send me an email if you want, and I will take a look at what you've got.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...