Saturday, July 2, 2011

Another Exchange with Night Owl

Not too long ago I completed my second trade with Night Owl. I sent him a few Dodgers that I've pulled recently from 2011 products (including a couple of Chad Billingsley cards, who I always seem to pull). I'm constantly behind with trade packages, but this was the kind of simple exchange involving just a handful of cards that I can actually complete in less than three months time. Here are the six cards that came back in return, in order from my least favorite to favorite.

1995 Topps Stadium Club #530 - Mike MacFarlane

A nice looking set. This is only my second 1995 Stadium Club card, the other being a Will Clark Virtual Reality parallel. This is one of those sets that I would probably pick up a box of if I found it on the cheap.

2002 Donruss Super Estrellas #CP-7 - Manny Ramirez - Poder de Cuadrangular

I have to confess, this was my least favorite card in the package, but I couldn't stand the thought of having Manny atop the blog until I post again. Don't get me wrong, it's a Red Sox card that I didn't have, and as such is definitely appreciated, but I don't see how anyone with a conscience can still be a Manny fan at this point. This card looks much better in person than it does when scanned.

2011 Topps Heritage #403 - Jonathan Papelbon

This brings me to 5/18 Red Sox base cards from this year's Heritage release.

1978 Topps #524 - Bernie Carbo

Very cool card to throw in. A pretty interesting fellow, Carbo was drafted by the Reds ahead of Johnny Bench, had his career year in his rookie season, then bounced around for a few years as a journeyman player, finding himself out of the game at age 33.

1975 Topps #430 - Luis Tiant

What's not to like about this card. This is everything a baseball card from the 70's should be. In fact, this would've been my favorite card in the package if it weren't for the fact that I already have it. I have to look though, I have a feeling this one may be an upgrade condition-wise. If not I'll have no problem sending it off in a trade I'm sure. Now for my favorite card...

2011 Topps Heritage #C30 - Clay Buchholz - Chrome (#'d/1962)

It's been apparent since his no-hitter in his second career start (a spot start in '07 against Baltimore) that Clay has the stuff to be a top notch big league pitcher. Injuries and other issues prevented him from making 20 starts or more until last season, where he started 28 games. He went 17-7 with an impressive 2.33 ERA, 120 strikeouts and WHIP of 1.203. He was also elected an All-Star and received some Cy Young consideration. He's once again on the DL at the moment, but finds himself 6-3 with a 3.48 ERA in 14 starts this year for the Sox. A great young pitcher who will be with the franchise for some time, as he's locked up through the end of 2015.

Thanks for the great package Night Owl, I'll drop you an email next time I pull a Billingsley!

1 comment:

night owl said...

Glad you liked! With all the Billingsleys you pull you have me glued to your blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...