Saturday, January 26, 2013

A Dollar at the Dime Box - Mansfield Show - Pt 2

Here's the second batch of 10 cards plucked from a dime box at this past Monday's show in Mansfield, MA:

Any Ken Griffey Jr. from his early days with Seattle that I don't have is not going to be left behind in a dime box.  This 1994 Topps base card certainly qualifies.

Hall of Famer?  Debatable.  One of the most consistent pitchers of his generation?  Unquestionably.  Couldn't pass up this rookie for the price.  I like Mike much better in this jersey than that other team he went on to play for...

Three more cards from the 2004-05 Legends Classics set by Upper Deck.  I really like some of the different full-color photos that I haven't seen used too many times elsewhere.  Here's another Bryan Trottier...

...and a really nice Lanny.  A whole lotta red on that card....

...and an early-career shot of Paul Coffey.  This is a nice set, I think I'd buy just about any one I came across for ten cents.  Don't need another set to chase right now but they are nice cards nonetheless.

I thought this Classic Alexandre Daigle insert was pretty cool.  It's an acetate card and the top half is see-through.

Sticking with the Classic theme, here's a Manon Rheaume from the 1993 Four Sport set.  This is actually my second Rheaume card.  I didn't get too caught up in that hype at the time, but it is an interesting card I guess.

As my time was running out I had an odd number of cards and needed just one more to even out my lot.  There were dozens of 2012 Archives commons in the boxes but I didn't have my want list available.  I took a shot at Gio Gonzalez and thankfully I did need this one.  One card closer.  By the way, Brad I am interested in trading with you, will email you today!

This is one I hadn't seen before, has a cheap non-licensed feel to it.  Thanks to Zistle I found out that it's from the 1995-96 Swedish Globe set.  I was at the height of my childhood fandom when the influx of young Russian stars hit the NHL in the late 80s/early '90s so I'm a sucker for cards of guys like Bure, Fedorov, Mogilny, etc.

Finally, we started with a Griffey so we'll end with a Griffey.  This is from the 1999 Metal Universe set.  As is always the case with these types of cards, it looks much better in person than it does in this scan.

Only one of these cards, the Gio Gonzalez, really fits in my collection but there's something to be said for total randomness.  This was still a dollar well spent in my opinion...

2 comments:

Zayden said...

Good Stuff! I wouldn't let those Griffey's stay in those boxes either!!!

shoeboxlegends said...

Thanks Michael! I've got about three more dime box posts coming, including more Griffey! By the way, I'll be getting around to a thank you post for the killer package you sent sometime this week!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...