Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Adrian Gonzalez, We Hardly Knew Ye - Smooth as Silk

I've picked up more than a few new Adrian Gonzalez Red Sox cards in recent weeks, time to start playing catch-up.  I'll start with one this evening that in my opinion was a really good eBay steal:

In case you weren't already aware, Topps took great care to blatantly label the front of this card so that you'd know it's a Silk Collection parallel from the 2011 Topps Update set.  These are kind of a cool concept, featuring a mini, silk version of a card from the flagship or update set framed and numbered to a relatively scant 50 copies.  In the front of the frame there's a hole in the plastic that allows you to verify using your sense of touch that yes, indeed, this little card is made of silk.

I've seen these posted on numerous blogs and have wanted to track this particular one down for a long while now.  I watched the only one listed on eBay for quite a few months, but the $25 buy-it-now price was too steep for my blood.  Once or twice the seller knocked 10% off and I debated snagging it for $22.50 but still felt the price was much too high for a non-autographed card numbered to 50 copies.  Patience paid off as eventually another was listed with a $.99 starting bid.  I took the card home for $3.80 plus $2 shipping, grand total of less than $6.  This card is a good reminder that our hobby is a journey and not a race.  I always operate by the rule that if something doesn't feel right, something probably isn't right.  If a card (especially one with 50 or more copies in existence) seems a bit steep, just wait.  Chances are it will come around again, and besides nothing can ruin a perfectly good card like buyer's remorse...

Adrian Gonzalez Red Sox Cards - Count
Total Cards - 40
#'d /2011 - 1
#'d /999 - 1
#'d/199 - 1
#'d/100 - 1
#'d/75 - 1
#'d /60 - 1
#'d/50 - 2
#'d/25 - 1
#'d/10 - 1
1/1 - 6
Relics - 1
Silk - 1
Autographs - 0
Printing Plates - 5

2 comments:

Zayden said...

Keep a look out in your mailbox in the coming weeks, I think I finally managed to dig up enough good stuff to send your way!!!!

shoeboxlegends said...

Awesome, looking forward to it Michael! Don't feel rushed, I am literally one of THE slowest mailers in all the blogosphere...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...