Saturday, September 27, 2014

Discount Hobby Shop Haul

Here are a few more cards I got on the cheap last time I was at the hobby shop a few months back...

I don't mind beat up vintage cards in the least.  Sure, I'd like to replace this awesome '60 Topps Joe Gordon card with a nicer example someday, but for 25 cents I'll gladly accept this one as a placeholder until that day comes.  Pretty much all the baseball cards in this post are in this type of shape.

I chose this one as much for the back as I did the front.  The 1960 Topps manager cards have some of my favorite card backs of all time, virtually all cartoon!  Before picking this one up I had no idea that Joe Gordon was a 9-time All-Star, and more impressively was the MVP of the American League in 1942!

There were a handful of 1981-82 O-Pee-Chee hockey stars in the 6-for-a-dollar bin, and I grabbed them all since I have precious few cards from this set.  They're all in good shape too, by '80s O-Pee-Chee standards anyway.


My very first 1972 Kellogg's card, also from a 6-for-a-dollar bin!  I could see this being shipped out in a future trade package, but I wouldn't mind hanging onto it either.  We'll see...


10 cents was what this '61 Topps card featuring Dick Drott's impressive flat-top set me back.  As I've said before, I'm going to buy any card from the 1960s that I don't already have for ten cents, regardless of condition.


That holds true even if the card is missing a corner, like Carlton Willey here.  Just couldn't leave him behind at a dime.


Don't know what got smeared on the front of Ken Johnson's card...


Definitely the most recent card from my haul, this Reilly Smith is from this past year's Upper Deck flagship effort.  I picked it up solely because I had yet to acquire a card of Reilly with Boston, and he was an integral part of the team (for long stretches at least) last season.


Finishing things off is probably my favorite out of this bunch.  Yes, this 1968 Topps Willie Stargell also came from the 6-for-a-dollar bin, and no it is not a reprint.  It is, however, badly mangled along the top.  This was instantly tossed into my pile, there was absolutely no way I was leaving a card of a Hall-of-Famer and one of the top sluggers of his day behind at that bargain price.  Although '68 Topps doesn't exactly break the bank, it's unlikely that I would have picked one of these up had it not been for the extreme discount.

You can see the damage more easily on the back, but I won't be losing any sleep over it!

That's all for today, hope to have an autograph or two posted tomorrow for Signature Sundays.  If the weather is half as nice wherever you are as it is here I hope you can get out and enjoy it!

3 comments:

Nick said...

Nice finds! Love the Stargell.

Commishbob said...

Great haul. I'm a big fan of that 1960 managers subset.

JediJeff said...

That Stargell is way too nice to pass up.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...