Thursday, October 10, 2019

A Football Card Experiment - Game 6 - G-Men

In an attempt to increase the size of my very small football card collection, I'm picking up and featuring one new card for each of the Patriots' 16 regular season games this year.

For week 6 action, the Patriots host the New York Giants at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, MA in the Thursday night prime-time game!  Sticking with the theme of this series so far in picking up cards of the opponent each week, I've got a nifty Giants card for today...

Pretty cool, huh?  As was the case with the 1951 Bowman card I showcased for week 5, this is my very first card from 1950 Bowman football.  I've got quite a few from the similarly designed (and sized) baseball set, but never held a football one in hand until now.  While I'm much more passionate about baseball cards on the whole, I can certainly say that I love these little square beauties in football form as well!

As for the subject, this is Joe Scott, who played six seasons in the NFL (1948-1953), all with the Giants.  The running back racked up just over 1,200 yards in his career, and scored 22 touchdowns.  Based on those stats I'm thinking he was a short yardage/heavy back who frequently got the call in the red zone, or when the team needed a couple of desperate yards.  Just a guess though, so take that with a giant grain of salt.

The summary on the reverse indicates that Joe was somewhat of a prolific kickoff returner as well.  At 6'1" and 200 pounds this guy is about my same height and weight almost to a T!  Didn't know that when I picked up the card, but it's an interesting coincidence.

So, there's this week's football card entry, coming on a Thursday.  Good news there is that it frees up my upcoming Sunday to begin to revive my long forgotten Signature Sundays series here on the blog.  If you're an autographed card fan, make sure to stop by in a few days!

Thanks for reading, and enjoy the football game tonight NFL fans!

1 comment:

Fuji said...

Scott played a little before my time, so I was totally unfamiliar with him until this post. Beautiful card though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...