Sunday, October 27, 2019

A Football Card Experiment - Game 8 - Ain't Got No Browns

In an attempt to increase the size of my very small football card collection, I'm picking up and featuring one new card for each of the Patriots' 16 regular season games this year.

For week 8 action, the 7-0 Patriots host the 2-4 Cleveland Browns at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, MA with a local kick-off time of 4:25 PM.  The Browns look to shock New England's home fans with an unlikely road victory, while the Patriots hope to maintain a perfect record at what will mark the halfway point of their season.

Here's the card to commemorate this week's game...

Yep, it's another tallboy and yes, this week for the first time all season we have a Patriots card!

I left this series of posts pretty well open-ended in that I just wanted to acquire a new football card for each game of the season this year.  I'd like to have some variety in my football card collection, especially given how small it is, so I wanted to avoid a situation where I simply ended up with 16 new Patriots cards.  To that end, I've actually featured a card of the opposing team every week up until now.  I didn't land any Browns in the small birthday eBay order that kicked off this project, and haven't managed to pick one up since, so today it's a Pats card for the first time.

1965 Topps has by far been the most popular set in this experiment so far, as this is now my third card from this release.  The first two featured New York Jets, so I'd say this one is my biased favorite so far.  I'm somewhat surprised by how cheaply this can be acquired compared to their '64-65 Topps hockey relatives.  As an example, this card was added via COMC for the lowly price of $1.25.  That's about what I plopped down for a Kit Kat bar for my wife at the pharmacy counter the other day.

The back has a nice cartoon that references Long's All-American selection, and the write-up mentions his durability/iron man streak.

I'd be tempted to take a crack at a Patriots team set from this release sometime in the future, but since I have way too many irons in the fire already I'm content with just this one card for now.

Enjoy the NFL action today football fans!  Until next time, thanks for stopping by...

2 comments:

The Shlabotnik Report said...

I would like to see the original photo for this card, because I'm looking at it thinking "Where's the other leg?" :-D

Fuji said...

I'm so bummed that there weren't any NFL teams in this set. I'd love to see a Bart Starr version of a 1965 Tall Boy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...