Monday, August 22, 2011

COMC Hobby Box - Paul McCartney and the 1970's

Here are packs 19 and 20 from my COMC box:

Pack 19:

1995 Upper Deck - #448 - Nolan Ryan Final Tribute ($.24)

There were 5 of these Final Tribute cards in the 1995 Upper Deck baseball set, celebrating the careers of Robin Yount, Ryne Sandberg, Nolan Ryan, George Brett and Mike Schmidt. The subset looks just like the base set but with a classy banner listing the years the player was in the league. Best of all since the players depicted had already retired, we have full career stats:


1994-95 Parkhurst Missing Link - #145 - Gordie Howe All-Star ($.27)

Another big card for my Missing Link set. Pretty interesting offer on the back. If I had owned this card in 1994 I think I would've begged my parents to get me the signed Maurice Richard puck:


2005 Upper Deck Past Time Pennants - #31 - Fred Lynn ($.25)

Another member of the '75 Red Sox World Series team, what a rookie season he turned in that year!


2011 Allen & Ginter - #AGR-JLO - Jed Lowrie Relic ($2.50)

My third hit and my first (as of right now still only) 2011 Allen & Ginter card. I'm sure it's just me not paying enough attention to detail, but these Ginter relics seem to look basically the same year after year. I guess, as the saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it.


1964 Topps Beatles Color - #8 - Paul McCartney ($1.00)

One of the more interesting odd-ball cards in my box. This is from a 64-card color set released by Topps in 1964. The Beatles were one of the first bands I remember really getting into when I was younger, in fact I can still recall getting the Beatles Anthology II for my birthday back in middle school. I guess these can be had for a pretty decent price given that this one is in good shape and cost just a buck, I might have to try completing this set some day.


Mini:

1986 Fleer Mini - #103 - Robin Yount ($.24)

1986 was Yount's first season as the Brewers regular center fielder, after injuries forced him out of the infield.


Insert:

2010 Bowman - #BT55 - Jon Lester (1992 Bowman Throwback) ($.22)

If you're counting this is the 5th Red Sox 2010 Bowman Throwback in my lot. Getting close to a team set here.


Pack 20:

1974-75 Topps - #241 - Dave Burrows ($.16)

One of the better defensive-minded defensemen of his era. If there was a guy you wanted pitted against your opponent's top scorer, Dave was it.


1992 Topps - #555 - Frank Thomas ($.22)

A great card that I have seen countless times. The 1992 Topps backs are awesome, with panoramic views of the home stadiums at the bottom:


1974-75 Topps - #61 - Jim Lorentz ($.26)

Won a Cup with the 1970 Bruins team. Better known within the Sabres organization, where he served as a broadcaster for over 25 years after his playing days were done.


2011 Gypsy Queen - #74 - Tom Seaver (Framed Paper #'d/999) ($.80)


1959 Topps - #248 - Boston Red Sox Checklist ($2.19)

This '59 Topps Red Sox checklist is in great condition considering it cost just a couple bucks. Great centering, good corners, crease-free and best of all unmarked:


1975 Topps Mini - #213 - Oscar Gamble ($.40)

Is there a better 1975 card than this one? I find it hard to believe there could be.


Insert:

2001 Upper Deck Decade 1970's - #DE6 - Tom Seaver (Disco Era Dandies) ($.20)

I only have a handful of cards from this set, but this insert certainly screams 1970's! I couldn't think of a better card to pair up with the '75 Gamble mini, very fitting.


Only four packs left to go, two more posts and I'm done with this project.

Pack 19
: $4.72
Pack 20: $4.23
Running Total: $63.08

Coming up next in packs 21 and 22 we have a surprise 4th hit, an X-Fractor and The Fonz!

1 comment:

Pro Set Cards said...

Continues to look like money well spent!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...