Sunday, August 7, 2011

COMC Hobby Box - Aesop's Fables, The Hit King & My First Hit!

Here are packs 5 and 6 from my Check Out My Cards hobby box:

Pack 5:

2010 Topps Tribute - #GR-100 - Tortoise vs. Hare (Greatest Rivalries Revisited) ($.25)

I had to have some non-sport, oddball subjects to mimic Allen & Ginter, and this one fit the bill.


2011 Gypsy Queen - #32 - Carl Crawford (Framed Paper #'d/999) ($.40)

The Gypsy Queen framed parallels are probably my favorite cards released in 2011. Maybe this one was so cheap due to Crawford's sub-par 2011 so far...


1974-75 Topps - #224 - Mike Murphy ($.15)

Former head coach of the Los Angeles Kings and Toronto Maple Leafs. Current vice-president of hockey operations for the NHL. More importantly though, a card off my 74-75 Topps Want List.


1995 Upper Deck - #365 - Cal Ripken Jr. ($.25)

Interesting shot of an older looking Ripken Jr. sliding into home. I'd like to bust a box of this stuff sometime.


1992 Mother's Cookies Nolan Ryan 7 No-Hitters - #4 ($.35)

In 1992 Mother's Cookies put out an 8 card set to celebrate Nolan Ryan's 7 career no-hitters. It's pretty obvious from the photo that this one celebrates number 4.

I like that the back of each card gives a breakdown of the date the no-hitter occurred, as well as Ryan's pitching line from that game. Number 4 came when he blanked the O's in 1975.

Mini:

1986 Fleer Mini - #40 - Pete Rose ($.24)

Baseball's all-time hit king. It's a shame that we don't get to see Rose featured in any of the modern day sets.


Insert:

2010 Bowman - #BT75 - Kevin Youkilis (1992 Bowman Throwback) ($.22)

Yeah, another 1992 Bowman throwback.


Pack 6:

1982 Donruss - #387 - Yogi Berra ($.21)

Somehow I hadn't seen this card before. It was in my cart about five seconds after I laid eyes on it.


2010-11 Upper Deck - #GJ-DC - Dino Ciccarelli (Game Jersey) ($.99)

My first hit is a Dino Ciccarelli sweater. A North Stars jersey card of the Hall-of-Famer for 99 cents...yes please!


1992 Mother's Cookies Nolan Ryan 7 No-Hitters - #6 ($.30)

Here's no-hitter number 6, which took place against Oakland in 1990. The A's were not a team of slouches that year, with 103 wins and guys like Rickey Henderson, Jose Canseco, Mark McGwire, and 27-game winner Bob Welch on the roster. 43-year-old Ryan ripped through their lineup, striking out 14!!! Not too shabby for an old man.


1995-96 Emotion - #137 - Jaromir Jagr ($.25)

Looking forward to seeing Jaromir lace up the skates in the NHL again this year.


1973 Topps - #627 - Luis Alvarado ($.50)

I've wanted a copy of this since I saw it on Night Owl Cards a long time ago. This one speaks for itself.


Mini:

1975 Topps Mini - #255 - Dwight Evans ($.89)

I doubt there are many baseball fans who couldn't answer the trivia question on Dewey's card:


Insert:

1994 Flair Hot Glove - #2 - Will Clark ($.57)

This is another one I've had my eye on for some time, I'm happy to add it to my Clark collection. This is a die-cut card done right. I might have to search out the rest of these.


Pack 5: $1.86
Pack 6: $3.71
Running Total: $17.89

5 comments:

Jim from Downingtown said...

Where is Alvarado playing, at the Rec Center at 4th & Lexington?

Hackenbush said...

Great stuff!

Fuji said...

Pack 6 is your best pack so far... and not just b/c you picked up a HOF memorabilia card for $.99.

I had to do a top 5 for this pack alone:

#5 - 82 Donruss Yogi (great photo + underrated design + legendary player = cool card to get autographed in person)

#4 - 10/11 UD Game Jersey Ciccarelli (i love how easy it is to find HOF memorabilia cards for under $2 these days... but $1 is still considered a steal in my book)

#3 - 94/95 Emotion Jagr (glad to see someone else who appreciates 90's Emotion sets)

#2 - 75 Topps Mini Dewey (great set + great player = great card)

#1 - 94 Flair Hot Glove Clark (love this insert set!)

Brad said...

Hey I think I clicked on a link
from your blog that directed me to a website that sold individual cards (not check out my cards) that you used to help complete a set - now i've totally misplaced the link ... any idea what it would be?

shoeboxlegends said...

Hey Brad,

I'm guessing that the link you clicked was for Sportlots (www.sportlots.com). I've learned that COMC is better for higher priced cards or stars, but Sportlots is great for set building/commons. Hope that's it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...