Monday, August 8, 2011

COMC Hobby Box - Lanny's Trade, Another Ozzie and a Fedorov

Onwards and upwards, here are packs 7 and 8 from my Check Out My Cards hobby box:

Pack 7:

2008 Topps Stadium Club - #84 - Daisuke Matsuzaka (First Day Issue) ($.27)

After undergoing Tommy John surgery back in early June, there is some question as to whether Matsuzaka will ever pitch in a Sox uniform again. At a minimum, he'll likely be out until mid-season next year, and his contract is up after 2012.


1974-75 Topps - #12 - Ron Ellis ($.16)

Interesting story regarding Ellis' wearing number 6 for the Leafs...


2011 Gypsy Queen - #17 - Mark Teixeira (Green Framed) ($.63)

The fact that I paid $.63 for a Teixeira card on purpose should tell you just how much I like these parallels. Shudder...


1994 Upper Deck All-Time Heroes - #92 - Lew Burdette ($.21)

Despite collecting in 1994 I didn't have any cards from this set. I thought this Burdette looked pretty cool. I like how the backs give the stat line for the player's greatest season in the Major Leagues:


1981-82 O-Pee-Chee - #77 - Lanny McDonald ($.40)

This was one of the cards I was most excited about in my haul. My collection is terribly short on 81-82 O-Pee-Chee. This is a shame because I have the entire 1981-82 Topps set and it's one of my all-time favorite hockey sets. This Lanny McDonald card is great because it signifies the trade that sent him from the Colorado Rockies to the Calgary Flames. I always associate McDonald with the Flames even though he racked up 585 career points before ever putting on a Calgary sweater:


2010 Allen & Ginter Mini A & G Back - #157 - Kevin Youkilis ($.24)

Believe it or not, Youk's base card was the only 2010 A & G card I owned before picking this one up. Night Owl sent it to me almost a year ago now. I guess I just need the regular-back mini now to complete the 2010 A & G Youkilis trifecta.


Insert:

1992-93 Upper Deck Gordie Howe Heroes - #20 ($.27)

I pulled a few of these inserts from a wax box, and finishing off the set has been on my to-do list for quite some time. I'm warning you right now, there's going to be a decent amount of Gordie Howe in these posts.


Pack 8:

1982 Topps - #66 - Astros Team Leaders (Art Howe/Nolan Ryan) ($.25)

This one kills two birds with one stone. Not only do I get another new card in my Nolan Ryan collection, but I instantly fill an open pocket in my 1982 Topps binder. 1.69 ERA...filthy!


1974-75 Topps - #255 - Jude Drouin ($.15)

Hey every box has a couple of duds right? At least the ones in this box fill set needs.


1987 Leaf - #108 - Ozzie Smith ($.27)

This one goes nicely with the '85 Leaf Smith from a couple of packs ago.


1999-00 Upper Deck Retro - #28 - Sergei Fedorov ($.25)

Of the 169 cards I purchased for this project, this is the lone Fedorov. I've slowly been picking up steam with the Fedorov collection though, I'm up to 73 cards and counting...


1992 Mother's Cookies Nolan Ryan 7 No-Hitters - #8 ($.35)

The final card from the '92 Mother's Cookies 7 No-Hitters set. Apparently this one was meant to be filled out by hand if and when Ryan ever threw number 8:


Mini:

1982 Kellogg's - #51 - Rod Carew ($.21)

This was actually the last mini that I picked out. I wish I had thought of the Kellogg's cards earlier in the process. If I had, you may have seen a couple more here. As it stands though, this is the only Kellogg's card I ended up with. Not a bad one though if you ask me.


Insert:

2010 Bowman - #BT63 - Jacoby Ellsbury (1992 Bowman Throwbacks) ($.43)

I have to be getting close to completing the '92 throwback Red Sox team set here...


Pack 7: $2.18
Pack 8: $1.91
Running Total: $21.98

Packs 9 and 10 coming soon...featuring a serial killer, some great playoff action, and one of the most ferocious creatures on Earth!

4 comments:

Captain Canuck said...

these prices shown, per card, and total to date, do they include shipping from COMC???

shoeboxlegends said...

Hey Canuck, they do not...and let me tell you shipping cost was the BIGGEST drawback to ever doing this again. I'll be doing a post-mortem on the pros and cons after I've posted the haul, and shipping is definitely the biggest con.

Anonymous said...

This is a pretty ingenious idea. Must remember to steal it. :P

I usually have to wait for a shipping special to get my stuff out of lockdown, lol. I've got almost 60 things waiting for me right now.

Fuji said...

Story behind Ron Ellis is cool.

Another Leaf Wizard of Oz is cooler.

Kellogg's lenticular cards from the 70's & 80's are the coolest!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...