Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Gypsy Queen Got Me Two Hall-of-Famers!

If you read my last post you know that I pulled this out of a 2011 Gypsy Queen hobby box:

As the saying goes, when life gives you lemons make lemonade. I might have thought this card was a waste of space (and of a hit) in my hobby box, but I figured someone out there would want it. I threw it up on eBay at .99 cents with no reserve. To my surprise the card attracted pretty decent attention, with about a dozen people watching the auction. In the end it sold for $35. Not bad huh? I was actually shocked.

I used the profit to pick up a card that I was watching myself:

A 2005 Upper Deck Baseball Heroes auto of Hammerin' Harmon! This is an instant favorite. I've always been a big fan of the Baseball Heroes sets, both 2005 and 2008, and this is actually my very first 2005 auto. It's the emerald version, which is numbered to 99. The best thing about these autographs though is that they are all on card.

Now, I would've been satisfied enough with just a straight up one-to-one deal of the Gypsy Queen auto for the Killebrew, but amazingly I got the Killebrew for what I felt was a steal at $21 and change. With $14 or so left in the Paypal account, I checked out some of the seller's other items and submitted a fairly low-ball bid on one card that caught my eye. I think I was just as excited when I won this card as I was about the first one:

That is one nice looking card! Because these are hard-signed in blue sharpie, the Blue autos in particular look great. They are numbered to just 20, and as such I would think they'd demand more of a premium than their emerald counterparts. However I ended up with this one for just $21 and change as well!

So there you have it, for a Gypsy Queen auto and around $7 I was able to add hard signed autos of two Hall-of-Famers to the collection.

Seriously, is there anyone out there that would take a "Gypsy auto" over these two cards? If so I'd love to hear you try to explain yourself.

Check back tomorrow for the first in a series of posts about my alternative to 2011 Allen & Ginter. I was pretty creative this year, I think you'll enjoy it.

3 comments:

Cheap Card Collecting said...

Wow! Very nice pickups!

flywheels said...

You flipped a signed card of a gypsy for 2 HOF autos? Is this the Twilight Zone? Wow, congrats!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that Harmon alone should blow the hand signed Gypsy / topps employee completely out of the water alone. He's a deceased HOF-er, 570-plus-homer hitter, former MVP! Congrats!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...